What is this Duck thinking

Pics
When my ducks look across the back field, they see this... what are they thinking???

"Wonder why they call them Bald Eagles?"Not nary a feather missing on those heads.
tongue.png

"Wonder why they call them Bald Eagles?"Not nary a feather missing on those heads.
tongue.png

LOL, I didn't want you to think that my ducks always had adult bald eagles looking over them...

sometimes there are immature bald eagles...

other times just a red-tailed hawk...

Yes that is the same tree every time... It is a huge solitary tree in the middle of the field behind us. Many birds-of-prey perch on it including Owls at night. And every once in a while it fills up completely with a migrating flock of starlings. This is why I keep my back yard cluttered... Lots of places for the ducks to hide if they have to. But mostly I think their best defense is that most of these birds-of-prey have pretty full bellies from the mice and gophers that live in that field.

Oh... and here is a picture from the bottom of the tree...

I guess there are some smaller trees out there....

Look another deer (laying down to the left of the tree) and two more immature bald eagles.

Last edited:
LOL, I didn't want you to think that my ducks always had adult bald eagles looking over them...

sometimes there are immature bald eagles...

other times just a red-tailed hawk...

Yes that is the same tree every time... It is a huge solitary tree in the middle of the field behind us. Many birds-of-prey perch on it including Owls at night. And every once in a while it fills up completely with a migrating flock of starlings. This is why I keep my back yard cluttered... Lots of places for the ducks to hide if they have to. But mostly I think their best defense is that most of these birds-of-prey have pretty full bellies from the mice and gophers that live in that field.

Oh... and here is a picture from the bottom of the tree...

I guess there are some smaller trees out there....

Look another deer (laying down to the left of the tree) and two more immature bald eagles.
Gorgeous pics. I like the idea of all the wild life as long as they stick to the prey that lives on their side of the fence.

Gorgeous pics. I like the idea of all the wild life as long as they stick to the prey that lives on their side of the fence.
Yup - agreed, so far we've been lucky. I have relied on clutter to keep the day time raptors away and bed time with the house to keep the owls away. Our secure area will be wired or netted or something next spring when we can start working the ground again (for a center mast). Right now it isn't a secure area and we leave both doors open so the ducks can go in one side and out the other.

Yup - agreed, so far we've been lucky. I have relied on clutter to keep the day time raptors away and bed time with the house to keep the owls away. Our secure area will be wired or netted or something next spring when we can start working the ground again (for a center mast). Right now it isn't a secure area and we leave both doors open so the ducks can go in one side and out the other.
Love that avatar!!

Love that avatar!!
Thanks... I went out and asked who wanted to be the next avatar and Noir gave me that today. And BTW, there is proof that Mallard based ducks wag their tails too, just Muscovies do it a little more
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom