What is this little fella?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laurenjean, May 17, 2018.

1. laurenjean

laurenjean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    So I bought my chicks at our local agway. My 3 kids each researched(the 5 year old may just have looked at pictures) to decide what breed they wanted based on what the store had available.
    My daughter picked a buff orpington who seems to be about a week older than the other 2 and almost definitely a pullet, my youngest son picked a barred rock(or hard rock as he calls it) and she is a little pullet as well.
    My oldest son loved the idea of colored eggs and he picked out an ameraucana.
    Based on looking at the forums I now realize this chick may not even be an ameraucan, and might be an EE. Is 3 weeks to early to tell? The chick is also pretty huge compared to others and is really slow feathering. Could it be a roo?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I don't have a clue:confused:

Just dropped in to say "Hi":frow "Hard Rock" just too cute!

3. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Not sure about the gender, I think you need to post more pictures in a few weeks. But since it came from a feed store, it's not an Easter egger. The only place that you can really get true Ameraucanas from is breeders. I really hate that so many places mislabel Easter eggers. I know that it can be so confusing and misleading. Anyways, I wish you luck:thumbsup

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2017
    N.W. Missouri
    Easter Egger

Unless chicks are labeled as Ameraucanas (note the spelling) and specified as a specific color, they are EEs.

Easter Eggers lay mainly green, blue, and pinky eggs. But they can also just lay white or brown. It's because they are just a lot of mixed breeds.

5. laurenjean

laurenjean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2016
    Thanks for all the input! I know they had it spelled correctly at the store, which makes it more lame that they'd do that. We love this little fella anyway and the kids are having a blast with their babies :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by