What is this on my chickens face??

First thing I would do is see a vet if that's an option, especially if you have a vet that's well versed with birds. I won't lie and say that I wouldn't worry about it, but really, you never know. Maybe it's something treatable. I haven't looked Auggie over for any more of these cysts, but your discovery has made me realize that I need to (I hate to bother a near perfectly behaved rooster too much, if that makes any sense but it seems necessary). I will try to get a picture of his cyst tonight. This is Auggie before the cyst/lump showed up (it's on the other side of his face though). Your hens showed up pretty much overnight, right? I really hope it's nothing too serious. Whatever is going on with our birds might be completely unrelated but it sounds similar.
20210928_080512.jpg

First thing I would do is see a vet if that's an option, especially if you have a vet that's well versed with birds. I won't lie and say that I wouldn't worry about it, but really, you never know. Maybe it's something treatable. I haven't looked Auggie over for any more of these cysts, but your discovery has made me realize that I need to (I hate to bother a near perfectly behaved rooster too much, if that makes any sense but it seems necessary). I will try to get a picture of his cyst tonight. This is Auggie before the cyst/lump showed up (it's on the other side of his face though). Your hens showed up pretty much overnight, right? I really hope it's nothing too serious. Whatever is going on with our birds might be completely unrelated but it sounds similar.
View attachment 2912687
Awww he’s so cute 🥰 I’d be interested in seeing your lump for comparison. I hope you don’t discover a bunch like I did! 😢

Any updates? Inquiring minds would love to know!
I haven't been able to get into the vet yet, so no real updates other than nothing has gotten any bigger or more swollen as of yet. She has an appointment tomorrow afternoon so I will know more then! She is still otherwise acting fine, eating, drinking, poop is normal. I will update this thread after I see the vet! thanks for checking in!

Any updates? Inquiring minds would love to know!
Well I have a small update…I just noticed a Dry Fowl Pox like scab on another one of my pullets. I wonder if she just has a really odd case of pox? I put a bunch more chlorohexidine on Ms Pretty—I’ll be curious to see if it looks any better tomorrow. 🤷🏼‍♀️ So weird to be on her neck though 😒

I was wondering about Miss Pretty today. The thought of her popped in my mind today after reading about her a few days ago. I really hope she is going to be okay and thanks for the update. Poor girl, I’m glad she sees a vet tomorrow and I hope they help you both.

I was wondering about Miss Pretty today. The thought of her popped in my mind today after reading about her a few days ago. I really hope she is going to be okay and thanks for the update. Poor girl, I’m glad she sees a vet tomorrow and I hope they help you both.
Ahh thanks for thinking about her today! My vet said that it is weird to have it on her neck, but she does think it’s fowl pox! She said to give it another few days and see it it continues to improve, so fingers crossed!! I looked over her tonight and applied some more chlorohexidine and the lumps on her neck are already way smaller than they were yesterday and one of the lumps behind her ear is almost gone. So I’m very hopeful that we are on the road to a solution and she doesn’t have any of the horrible things I was reading were possible…none of them ended well! I also noted small black stuff on a couple more chicken combs, so it seems like the likely scenario. Just weird that she got such a bad case and no one else has. I’m wondering if she got the lumps on her neck because she was molting and had a lot of exposed skin while the feathers we’re growing back in? Super weird, but I think I have reason to be hopeful 🤞🏻

Ahh thanks for thinking about her today! My vet said that it is weird to have it on her neck, but she does think it’s fowl pox! She said to give it another few days and see it it continues to improve, so fingers crossed!! I looked over her tonight and applied some more chlorohexidine and the lumps on her neck are already way smaller than they were yesterday and one of the lumps behind her ear is almost gone. So I’m very hopeful that we are on the road to a solution and she doesn’t have any of the horrible things I was reading were possible…none of them ended well! I also noted small black stuff on a couple more chicken combs, so it seems like the likely scenario. Just weird that she got such a bad case and no one else has. I’m wondering if she got the lumps on her neck because she was molting and had a lot of exposed skin while the feathers we’re growing back in? Super weird, but I think I have reason to be hopeful 🤞🏻
Thank you for the update. Poor birds molting, my Brahmas are too. They are so cranky right now. I can see why it could run her down and make it hard for her to fight other things. I look forward to her getting well, I'm sure you do too!

Back
Top Bottom