what is this on my game-cam?

I'm way late into this discussion, but just got here and read the entire 38 pages. I don't know what's in that picture of yours, but my dh says it's a cat, not a fox, not any canine. He's a hunter, and I trust his opinion, although you have no reason to. I think you're about 50/50 split on the original question. What I did want to say, just becuase i did read all 38 pages, is that I live 20 minutes from the Quabbin here in Western Mass, and fly fish there generally 4 or 5 mornings a week throughout the spring and summer with my husband, and I have seen mountain lions in the Quabbin. Now, in case you are going to tell me I saw something else and thought it was a cat, I have seen it enough times to know what it was, and it had a cub following along behind it this past season. THey have a lottery here to allow people to hunt deer in the Quabbin, very few get to hunt, very few actually hit anything, so the deer population is crazy and could easily support some cats. Most of the place is also off limits to most everybody and there are only a few walk-in trails where we're allowed to fish. I've been going there for the past 12 years, and I never even saw anything that looked like a cat until about 5 years ago, and almost had a stroke that time, but since then, it doesn't surprise me as much anymore. They are here in the Quabbin, so it wouldnt surprise me a bit if they were down your way too.

Quote:
i just wanted to say that i am jealous.i mean fly fishing 4-5 days a week in a place that sounds beautiful.
i love to see places where humans are kept out and nature is free to do what it likes.
PM some pictures please
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I work overnight, get out at 6 am and go fishing before I go to bed. Otherwise, would never get out at all. I just got a digital camera, so most of my pics are on film and I don't know how I'd post those. Will take the digi next time we go out though. And it is lovely to wind down like that after a long night working.

Hi dretd

you wrote "thanks for the link-very interesting read. Point of clarification, the way I read the map the dot in Georgia is blue which is labeled as a Class I confirmation:photo inlcuding video, dead or captured body or DNA evidence from scat, hair etc... So this Class I confrimation could easily have been from a feral/escaped animal or transient going walkabout.

My Hubby ;)wants it to be a Chupacabra "

Lol about the Chupacabra!!
Thanks for your view...it's either my eyes or my monitor --- I see the dot as green...isn't that s-c-a-r-y?

A wild 'cat' of any ilk may never even appear on the game cam again---or may only appear a year from now. I doubt that the real identity will be discovered. I agree with those who want the critter to come back and pose!

Quote:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I you live near the Quabbin then you'll know where I saw a mt. lion. I was heading to the Swift River Wildlife Management Area to go hunting with my friend. We had just passed the trout hatchery and just a little way after that red house next to the trout hatchery is where the mt. lion crossed the road. It came from the right, near the WMA and entered the woods on the left. In 1997 there was some scat found at the Quabbin and was determined to be mt. lion and it was not an exotic.

Just asked the hubby and he says that's where we go in too. Right on Route 9 right before the entering Belchertown sign, there is on the left a small place to park and a path that we walk up to fly fish right across the street from the trout hatchery. I've only ever caught one trout there, mind you, they are so used to people dropping lines in you can darn near poke them with the rod and they don't even move. We walk about 20 minutes up that path and there's a nice wide spot where we fish. We've seen mountain lions and bobcats and the deer are so thick there, we have to make noise while walking up or we could walk into them. They're there. My hubby has been fishing there longer than I have and when I saw the first one five or six years ago, he told me he'd seen them in there before. He takes the boat out sometimes and sees them from the water, but I don't like boats so much, so only seem them once in a while if we just go walking in. We live in Easthampton, so it's about a 20 minute ride at 6 in the morning when I get out of work, so I've seen them between 7 and 9 in the morning for about the last five or six years. And prints, and scat, and fur. I don't care what the wildlife guys tell me, they're in there.

Quote:
well,lately i have just been carring a knife/machete thing but it is weird to walk down there in the daytime and see nothing and then to remember all the predators on the nighttime cam.creepy

Back
Top Bottom