what is this on my game-cam?

Quote:
The historic range--according to Peterson' Mammal Guide--is in the Northern Appalachian chain into New England and the southern part of Fl. OP doesn't live close to either one nor is her area good cougar habitat. BTW, the one possible, but unconfirmed, sighting in GA was in the northwestern part of the state in the Appalachians.

In re to the two sites. The first is from SWGA near the FL line and may have been a wandering FL panther or one transported and released by someone given the condition it was in. The second site has a bogus photo as admitted by the artist. Puma, cougars, Mt. lions, panther, catamounts and/or painters aren't black.

Last edited:
FYI, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife there are "No cougars (mountain lions, panthers, pumas, whatever ya wanna call 'em) in Bastrop county." Which explains why there is one running around in my area of that same county with a singed tail right now. I'm guessing while it was NOT in Bastrop county, it got caught in the massive wildfire and got a bit close to the flames. More fun... the last person who spotted the thing was <drum roll, please> a retired game warden. So if someone tells you that a such-n-such does NOT exist in your neck of the woods, take it with a grain of salt. Unless they are talking about the Yeti. I think he sticks mainly to Tibet.

Here's the call on the image... it's a feline of some sort unless it's a canine of some sort (think that covers all the bases unless of course it's a Louisiana black bear).

Quote:
But it is not that big. It is smaller than her blue heeler, just compare the pictures.
And if it was a young cub to be that small, its legs and body would be much thicker and heavier with massive paws.

Edited to add: Check out post #250 for a comparison of the photos side by side. The mystery animal is shorter in both the front shoulder and the hind end than the OPs blue heeler.

Just looked at post #250 for comparison. I take it back. Way to small to be a mountain lion,cougar, puma or whatever. I am thinking a Chupacabra
lau.gif

its another fox, maybe a gray fox. Its not a mt. lion. I've hunted and trapped and have taken mountain lions and its def. not one. Too big a tall for a bobcat, too bushy for a coyote, too large for any type of coon or other member from the weasel family.

Quote:
smack.gif

OMG ITS NOT A FOX
he.gif

OK OK OK

I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

HEAR YE HEAR YE - WE HAVE JUST COME ACROSS A NEW SPECIES OF ANIMAL THAT LOOKS LIKE A CAT/FELINE BUT WE WILL NOW CALL IT A FOX JUST FOR "S#!TS AND GIGGLES"
th.gif

Last edited:
I wish the darn thing would stand still and pose for the camera like the red fox and racoon did. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

just got back from a trip.
ya'll are funny.i cracked up when i read the last couple of days worth of posts.
i have just checked the cam and all i got were coons and raptor pics again.not even the red fox,which was a regular.
we have been getting a good amount of rain.the spot where the camera is is a spring that runs the length of our property.when we had no rain,that was the only place to get water around.now that it is raining again,the creek has water everywhere.so all the animals have plenty of choices where to get their water.

i did set it up tonight with a variety of things,so i will check it first thing in the AM.
fl.gif

remadl700 -no,i have not gotten anything that looks like a cat again. the photos of the grey fox or coyote(post #185) was the closest to the original pics.

Last edited:
Quote:
smack.gif

OMG ITS NOT A FOX
he.gif

OK OK OK

I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

HEAR YE HEAR YE - WE HAVE JUST COME ACROSS A NEW SPECIES OF ANIMAL THAT LOOKS LIKE A CAT/FELINE BUT WE WILL NOW CALL IT A FOX JUST FOR "S#!TS AND GIGGLES"
th.gif

It's a fox! If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it has to be a fox

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom