what is this on my game-cam?

My husband says that is a young mountain lion. He saw a larger version jumping a 8' high gate near our home in Gainesville, Ga. He called the game warden and they said he needed to stay out of the Jack Daniels bottle. They said there were no mountain lions in our area. The next week, a report came in on the local radio station that a mountain lion was seen on the highway 3 miles from our house. There were several more reports after that. Maybe it is just passing through.

Don't you just love the game warden? The one here told me in no uncertain terms that the coyotes I saw in my yard last summer were my neighbors dogs, a German Shepherd and an aussie mix. Since my last German Shepherd had just died, and I had had five of them in my lifetime, I told him that he didn't know what he was talking about. He told me multiple times that I was not seeing what I thought I was seeing, until I took a picture of three of them standing under my clothesline and handed it to him. Then he told me that they must be just passing through the area, because if there were any living around here, he certainly would have been told about it. I told him about it, for three months before I got the picture. I can understand if maybe once they think that someone is mistaken, but this constant denial is stupid and rude.

Ok, we have the answer. My kids, husband and I have studied the pictures and are quite certain it is, indeed, our tom cat Tigger. He disappears for about 4 months at a time and we fantasize about what kind of adventures he is on. Yep, that's him for sure!
lau.gif

Actually, we all think it is a cougar. We have "no cougars" in Iowa according to the DNR... so apparently those things that look like cougars everyone sees are just something else... Yeah, we will go with that. Just something else.

I live in a rural part of south-central Mississippi where florida panthers are known to roam. That's what the game cam pics look like to me. And I say, even if it IS a panther, let it be and don't worry about it. There is a panther whose range extends up and down a large creek a few miles from us. It is occasionally heard but almost never seen. My in-laws had one on the creek on their place for years (probably not the same panther all those years!) and they never saw it. Heard it rarely. Occasionally saw tracks. But whenever its travels brought it back to their neighborhood, the behavior of their house pets tipped them off that it was around.

I am much more concerned about the damage caused by the exploding coyote population in our area. And we are overrun with raccoons and opossums, which are much more likely to help themselves to a bite of chicken dinner. I might even welcome a panther to the neighborhood if it would keep the coyotes under control!! Ha!

Without a game cam, you could have a panther passing through and never know it. I don't know how cougars behave, but I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about having a florida panther around.

I enlarged and studied the photos provided and found that the characteristics of the body, legs, tail and especially the ears indicate that this animal is definitely feline and most likely a jaguarundi which can be found in much of Georgia and the southeast.

Quote:
What part of Iowa do you live in? I live about a half hour from the Quad Cities. Also, I'm not exactly sure on the year, but my girlfriend thinks it was in 2006, a man shot and killed a cougar (mountain lion) in Keithsburg. that's about a half hour from me, and Keithsburg is about a half hour from Muscatine. So in most cases, game wardens to be blunt, are idiots.

Back
Top Bottom