what is this roo?

ReiMiraa

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Leavenworth the "German Town"
my neighbor has a roo and has a very small territory and only has 1 hen (had 4 last year) took pics of him. just curious. he watches over his hen. i wanted to provide the hen pic because i have never seen one like it in my books or while trolling on here. but here he is. i am lucky he hasn't met my rooster's flock. even though mine weighs more i think this guy is more equipped. but now he is kept in a pen.

P1030528.JPG

Last edited:
The color is what we call red, otherwise known as black breasted red. More specifically, lemon, on this bird because of the lemon yellow color in the hackles.

Last edited:
The correct name for this color of plumage is wheaton. Black breasted red (BBR) have darker red on the hackles. Don't know exactly what family this gamebird derived from but judging from photo, he's a green legged Hatch. Whatever he is, he sure is a beautiful handsome (is that even a word? lol) rooster.

would he be worth getting a few eggs from to incubate under a broodie? honestly i know its a fighting rooster breed (based on its spurs and it looks similar to an assil in a book), but i remember that there were a few that were nice and tame (i played with the ones our workers raises at one time, i loved it. i came over the next day, "where is he?" the guy said, dinner. i didn't fully understand but i was sad he was gone) but some are nice but they are rare.

when walking (strutting) he high steps.... like the chicken version of the fancy gate the tenessee walker does.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom