What is this sound my female Duck is making?

Kholts

Songster
Feb 11, 2019
Canada
I have 5 ducks & 1 Drake ranging in age 13-17 weeks old. The last couple days I’ve been noticing my older 4 (3 ducks & 1 Drake) have been huffing lately. My Saxony lil miss has a more dramatic huff though sounding almost like a dry hack.

Here’s a video:

Is this a mating call of sorts or are they all coming down with a respiratory bug? All are eating and free ranging as normal.

I have 5 ducks & 1 Drake ranging in age 13-17 weeks old. The last couple days I’ve been noticing my older 4 (3 ducks & 1 Drake) have been huffing lately. My Saxony lil miss has a more dramatic huff though sounding almost like a dry hack.

Here’s a video:

Is this a mating call of sorts or are they all coming down with a respiratory bug? All are eating and free ranging as normal.
I have no idea, none of mine make that noise. :idunno

They are on a layer feed formulated for chickens. It’s seed texture definitely not a crumble or pellet.

I don’t find it dusty when scooping into the bucket but birds are sensitive to dust....

I agree that it sounds like a digestive issue of some sort...almost like a hiccup or something. Only thing I've ever heard close to this is like the drake's whistle...but that's a before and after mating thing.
Hmmm well she is a she & I haven’t noticed them mating specifically though I’ve seen my drake mount my blue Swedish.

I have noticed the Saxony specifically is attached to the drake at the hip. I’ve literally never seen them more than an arm width apart unless I’m holding the drake or her. She’s also a super boss if the others get too close to him.

Back
Top Bottom