What is this? Yolk Sac?

chickeegirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
This is the 2nd chick that hatched. He finally pushed the rest of his shell off of himself today, but apparently, prematurely.

I cleaned him up and kept him in a cup with a wet paper towel all day. I've had to change it out a few times, as there was yellow/green stuff all over. So a little while ago, he hopped out of the cup and has been trying to walk around. I kept putting him back in, but he'd hopped right back out. He's definitely waking up all of a sudden.

The problem is this below. I'm guessing that's the sac? Now, as I just looked again, I can't see as much yellow on him-don't know if he absorbed some or if it's just dragged on the wash cloth below. Some of it is definitely on the cloth. I guess I just leave him be at this point? I have to run out for the next 1 1/2 hours and hate to leave, but I have no choice.

Thanks for all of your help! This site has been invaluable to me!

Oh boy, i have looked at many things like this on byc and none of them have ended very well, that is why i originally didnt reply but than i put my feelings to the side and decided to try to help. Here are some of the conversations that might help:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/469499/help-with-an-unabsorbed-yolk-sac
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...hick-with-yolk-sac-problem-please-please-help
Some of them say to cull the chick, i dont agree with that unless it looks like it is in pain, some say to cut it off so that it doesnt pull its intestines out etc.
Please keep me posted, i would love to have one succesfull yolk sac story.
I really dont mean to bum you out, sorry if i did.

Sorry, I missed this, (as I ended up with a kid with a horrific ear infection yesterday in the middle of this poor little chick's problems)...but thank you.

His intestines came out for sure, and didn't make it. He didn't seem to be in pain, and died relatively quickly, thank goodness, as there is no way I could have culled it. As it was my 8 year old was in tears and so sad about this little one not making it. :( I'm not sure if the other chick in the incubator drying off caused or added to the problem, as he wouldn't leave this one alone, and was pecking at the intestines-sorry to be kind of gross-so I moved him out of the incubator and a few minutes later, this one died.

The first one, (the pecker!) hatched too quickly and had a good amount of yolk sac that wasn't absorbed either, and I was super worried about him, but he was up and moving in no time, and thanks to Cynthia's advice, I left him be, and he is doing really well now. A few days old, sac is dried up and fell off and he's eating/drinking and running all over the brooder! So at least I had one happy ending. :)

I am so sorry to hear about your kid and about the little chick. I have had lots of intestine stories and most with pictures so your description didnt disgust me.
sickbyc.gif
Is your kid ok now? Good luck with the rest of your chicks.
big_smile.png

Thank you both. It's been an interesting experience at the very least. Our one little chick who made it is doing well and getting bigger each day. He's super social and very cute. He gets lots of love and attention from our kids. :) The best to you both!

Back
Top Bottom