What is this??!

tomboy1013

Hatching
Mar 27, 2018
I just bought some chicks at TSC yesterday. Most are fine, one has a weird thing on its butt. Can't tell if its a really bad case of pasty butt or exposed yolk sac. Anyways, please help as I'm nervous for the little fellow.

Here is a photo https://ibb.co/iTiWN7

His butt is wet cause I tried to wipe it and soak it in warm water. When I wiped it poop kept coming out like he was backed up. I put him in a separate box. Is that necessary?
IMG_8603.JPG

Looks like it's pasty butt. You need to gently run warm water over till all the poo has dissolved. Do not try to wipe off. You could rip out down doing that.
That chick is at least a week old, so it's not likely to be an unabsorbed yolk sac.

The most important thing is what is the behavior of the chick? Normally active? Good or poor appetite? Size in comparison to the others? What is the consistency of the poop, firm or runny?

What does its crop feel like? Compare to the other chicks? Full? Hard? Empty?

The most important thing is what is the behavior of the chick? Normally active? Good or poor appetite? Size in comparison to the others? What is the consistency of the poop, firm or runny?

What does its crop feel like? Compare to the other chicks? Full? Hard? Empty?

So I soaked his butt in warm water and gently got the poop off. I dried him as best I could. Now he won't stop chirping and is still shaky. I noticed the one healthy chick was pecking his butt and wings in the brooder, so I moved him to his own box.

Haven't checked the crop. He is on the smaller side of the other birds but not too much. Prior to cleaning its butt I noticed him eating and drinking like normal. Now he just seems freaked out and won't do much of anything except chirp.

It sounds as if this chick is compromised. It's good that you're trying to address it. As LG suggests, get the chick some direct contact heat. I suggest making a "burrito" out of a heating pad with the chick folded into it. Low heat setting. Rig it so it can get in and out without being trapped. It needs to leave it when it feels too warm and return as it needs to warm up. One of the biggest issues with a chick such as this is getting enough heat. Sometimes simple radiant heat doesn't penetrate enough.

Give this chick a dose of coconut oil on the assumption it is having digestive track issues. Using the oil in its solid form, break off tiny bits and place them on the chick's tongue. Try to get one teaspoon into it.

Massage the chick's crop gently to disperse the oil and to break up any crop impaction. This also helps to get the oil out of the crop and into the rest of the system.

Let the chick rest but offer it finely minced boiled egg and water with a bit of Poultry Nutri-drench mixed in.

So I soaked his butt in warm water and gently got the poop off. I dried him as best I could. Now he won't stop chirping and is still shaky. I noticed the one healthy chick was pecking his butt and wings in the brooder, so I moved him to his own box.

Haven't checked the crop. He is on the smaller side of the other birds but not too much. Prior to cleaning its butt I noticed him eating and drinking like normal. Now he just seems freaked out and won't do much of anything except chirp.
It's chilled. You have to be sure to dry it completely. And place it under the heat source.

Poultry NutriDrench is good, Poultry Cell, both given orally a drop at a time, or SaveAChick added to the water are all good. Be sure to dip it’s beak into water for a second several times often to get it drinking. Pasty butt is usually a temporary problem seen from shipping stress, dehydration, and being too hot or too cold.

Since he is weak, they may not have cleaned him off at the feed store, and he couldn’t poop. I notice a lot of feed store chicks with pasty butt. I hope he survives.

Back
Top Bottom