What is this?

AGPchickens

Hatching
Aug 8, 2018
does anybody know what this is on my little guy? It just suddenly appeared. If you know what it is is it treatable?
He is the only rooster, he is a bantam and there are 8 hens. It is Summer here so not frostbite...
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 97B810D8-F770-4F80-97DD-5351DE02E058.jpeg
    97B810D8-F770-4F80-97DD-5351DE02E058.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 47
88C27C3B-519E-483B-B009-91240FEAEFBD.jpeg

0F274FC9-ED72-46BA-BEDE-7BAF66DCFB39.jpeg

962A564D-153F-40B6-B1E1-33A9D9A348BA.jpeg

See the similarities? It is ‘most definitely’ Avion pox

There is no cure for avion pox, but there are comfort measures that can be provided for affected chickens as well as preventative measures to avoid secondary bacterial infections caused by the lesions. Unaffected birds can be vaccinated during an outbreak.
1) Offer tetracycline antibiotics in the water to help control secondary infections.
2) Treats scabs with a dilute iodine solution such as “J. Crow’s Lugol’s Solution.
3) Apply ointment to soften scabs. (Mix 2 tablespoons of sulfur powder with 1/2 cup Vaseline. Apply to affected areas daily until lesion is healed.)
4) Mix diluted iodine solutions into the flock’s drinking water. (Iodine solution for drinking water: Mix 1 teaspoon of 1% iodine solution per gallon of water OR 1/2 teaspoon of 2% iodine solution per gallon. Provide as the only source of drinking water until outbreak subsides.)
5) Clean coop and run with the objective of removing hot debris from the premises.
6) Sanitize drinking water.

does anybody know what this is on my little guy? It just suddenly appeared. If you know what it is is it treatable?
He is the only rooster, he is a bantam and there are 8 hens. It is Summer here so not frostbite...
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BYC. It looks to me like pecking wounds which normally look jet black. Pox, on the other hand is tan to dark brown scabs from mosquitoes spreading the virus.

Looks like scabs from fighting to me too. If you wet your fingers and rub them, does it rub away like dried blood. Fowl pox is usually more wart like lesions from what I have seen. I'm not sure those photos you posted are typical of fowl pox. I'll see if I can find some better ones..... here we go....
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+of+fowl+pox+in+chickens&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=s2z1pK3nyRgjNM%3A%2CrhQOhivYx3hNMM%2C_&usg=AFrqEzc5jz4tL1gdKwHm-9eMxqBIhJXydw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMtYOy1d7cAhVKfMAKHW2_Af4Q9QEwB3oECAUQEg#imgrc=s2z1pK3nyRgjNM:

The pics that I posted are of the beginning stages of fowl poxs. The OP had stated that this had just happened recently.
on the site that you posted had also pictures of the beginning stage, If you scroll down a bit.

Looks like scabs from fighting to me too. If you wet your fingers and rub them, does it rub away like dried blood. Fowl pox is usually more wart like lesions from what I have seen. I'm not sure those photos you posted are typical of fowl pox. I'll see if I can find some better ones..... here we go....
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pictures+of+fowl+pox+in+chickens&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=s2z1pK3nyRgjNM%3A%2CrhQOhivYx3hNMM%2C_&usg=AFrqEzc5jz4tL1gdKwHm-9eMxqBIhJXydw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiMtYOy1d7cAhVKfMAKHW2_Af4Q9QEwB3oECAUQEg#imgrc=s2z1pK3nyRgjNM:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/31785...eb_unauth_id=dd1ec220e4e6f8e481985d70b96ac726

Back
Top Bottom