What is this?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Just toast this Cornish Z that we raised last summer. Cup open the breast’s times cook them better and found this? I’ve never seen something like this before. It’s only on one side, and left a good indent in the breast. Curious as to what this could be.
4C46E3AD-E9C7-47EF-83E0-3D8516F72A52.jpeg

3BB71509-7561-4EC7-995D-9C7EA320419D.jpeg

Just toast this Cornish Z that we raised last summer. Cup open the breast’s times cook them better and found this? I’ve never seen something like this before. It’s only on one side, and left a good indent in the breast. Curious as to what this could be.
View attachment 2972926
View attachment 2972927
Maybe nothing bad, it might have just “fallen” off. But I’ll, following to see what other say.

I am not a vet… disclaimer… not a food inspector… not an expert, just a regular person. So I could be wrong but…

It could be DPM deep pectoral myopathy,' which is also commonly known as Green Muscle Disease… it is found in meat birds, first identified in Turkey then confirmed in modern commercial broilers found in the breast muscles… basically current info indicates it is not caused by a pathogen but actually is caused by a restriction to the tender area by tough inelastic muscles covering or membranes and sternum... So when the bird tries to flap its wings the tender is getting damage by a 20% weight increase, blood flow restriction and so on the flesh dies because oxygen and all the other body healing stuff can’t get to the area. Anyhow the problem is on the increase… management suggestions seem sort of weak to me… less exercise, keep birds from flapping… the problem usually isn’t noticed in the broiler houses, and is only discovered after slaughter usually by the consumer.

Seeing as this is a relatively new problem I think genetics, fast weight gain being pushed to the max, environment may contribute to this…but that is my stab in the dark theory as why it is starting to happen increasingly.

When in doubt don’t eat anything that looks off is my rule… and necrotic flesh is definitely gross…

Some pretty extreme examples I found on the net…

56BFF188-8AA4-4D7E-955F-4826C160CA2A.jpeg
EE0D4CA9-9816-40B4-9898-042533849209.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom