What is this??

Chickensinthesun

Chirping
Nov 19, 2019
Little backstory: I recently rescued a mama hen and her 6 babies from a neglect case.
The mom is very aggressive and and protective of her little ones and I have been working to ease her trust towards me so I can handle her chicks. I have been keeping an eye on this one specifically I haven’t been able to see it up close until today when I managed to grab it when I was offering meal worms as a treat. It looks like something is on its eye? I have no clue what it is but I used a little warm water and a paper towel but it was on there really stiff. The poor thing can’t open or close its eye correctly. Anyways if you guys know anything about this and have tips for me please let me know I wanna help this little guy!

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpeg
    IMG_2829.jpeg
    596.4 KB · Views: 16
Little backstory: I recently rescued a mama hen and her 6 babies from a neglect case.
The mom is very aggressive and and protective of her little ones and I have been working to ease her trust towards me so I can handle her chicks. I have been keeping an eye on this one specifically I haven’t been able to see it up close until today when I managed to grab it when I was offering meal worms as a treat. It looks like something is on its eye? I have no clue what it is but I used a little warm water and a paper towel but it was on there really stiff. The poor thing can’t open or close its eye correctly. Anyways if you guys know anything about this and have tips for me please let me know I wanna help this little guy!
I’m not honestly sure.. If i were to guess it looks like a bug bite or something to the eyelid but its beak looks a little odd.

Hopefully you get answers soon

Could you try one more picture where the face is clear? Do both sides look the same? Are there scabs on her face as we see in fowl pox? Do you have mosquitoes out now? Usually we don’t recommend touching fowl pox scabs, but if fowl pox is not what is happening, I would rinse the face with saline 2-3 times a day and apply some Terramycin to the eye when you dry it. Plain Neosporin triple antibiotic is fine to use as well. If it is fowl pox, you can still apply the eye ointment.

Back
Top Bottom