What is TOO cold?

My 3 peeps saw their first snow this morning and were terrified!!!Bless them, i had to lift them out of the coop.When i put them to bed later there were little chicken feet tracks in the snow so they overcame the fear eventually!So cute!They are the lovliest pets i have ever had!

Quote:

Well this is what happened.

Last night I didn't put the chickens away before church so I asked my Dd to have my SIL shut them up. They have a covered run on three or in this case two sides. I have two runs. This particular run is covered with plastic on two side and partially covered on the other two. Well DD said she shut them up and she did. However she missed a little Dominique and when I went to open them up in the morning there she was. Alive and well as far as I know. It got down into the high thirties I believe.

Chickens can deal with the cold much better than the heat. The key is to keep them out of the drafts and winds. You want to make sure the humidity is low the drier the better. Try to keep things above freezing. The fewer chickens you have the warmer you'll need to make your coop. Keep your coop sheltered from North winds. Windows should face east or south.

In TX I doubt you'd need to worry about it getting to cold. Too hot yes but not too cold. Snow is a good thing as it won't snow if it's too cold. Ice crystals won't form if it's to cold. Like freezing your butt off cold. As far as I know. I would say anything below zero would not be good, but the inside of your coop should be warmer.

I've read to feed your birds heat producing grains and put them to bed with a full belly. I worry most about my bantams.

Have a safe winter
Rancher

My birds have all been outside running around at sub-zero temps. Even the 12-16 week olds that are only in a tarp-covered hoop pen without a coop. No losses, no frostbite. I think they can handle temps in the 30s just fine. Unless it was 125*F yesterday, and 30*F today.

smile.png
I was just getting ready to ask that question. I know that animals can tolerate all sorts of conditions, but "What is too cold?" I did some reading and it looks like 20+ in a well sheltered coop with bedding on the floor and no drafts will be comfortable for chickens.

Just because you southerners are wimps when the mercury hits 40, doesn't mean your chickens are. Always get a kick seeing people in traditional warm regions looking like an Eskimo when the temperature hits 50 degrees.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

My birds have all been outside running around at sub-zero temps. Even the 12-16 week olds that are only in a tarp-covered hoop pen without a coop. No losses, no frostbite. I think they can handle temps in the 30s just fine. Unless it was 125*F yesterday, and 30*F today.

Well howdy there Mrs AK!! Why didn't you link your thread?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom