What is up with this egg?

oregonkat

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 5, 2012
Southern Oregon
This is from one of my Welsummer hens. What is going on? This is the first egg I have had from her that is a: this dark, hers are usually very mid brown, and b: this weird texture, it is very rough, not to mention the 'blood spots'

Is this something I should be concerned about? Nothing has changed in the diet, all free range and layer granules with hen scratch thrown in once a day.

Any ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks

Hmmm...saw another egg recently that had the thick dark area on it....

Is it blood, did it wash off?
Could be excessive color coating and/or excessive calcium.

Probably just a glitch...sometimes there are 'one off' funky eggs.

How long has she been laying?

Hmmm...saw another egg recently that had the thick dark area on it....

Is it blood, did it wash off?
Could be excessive color coating and/or excessive calcium.

Probably just a glitch...sometimes there are 'one off' funky eggs.

How long has she been laying?
It does not wash off!! The only thing that comes off with water is some of the brown coating chipping off kind of like paint revealing a pale brown shell underneath. So weird!! She has been laying since about last October, give or take a bit, so quite a long time. Hopefully, just a glitch like you said.

It's just a one-off thing most likely.

I have one hen who lays eggs with excess calcium consistently. They're perfectly fine to eat and she's healthy as can be, it's just a glitch in her system. She's a Marans, and her spots are the opposite of your girl. On mine, the calcium spots are lighter in color. It's not very appealing looking and I don't put those in cartons for customers, but we eat them all the time. She's been doing it on and off for a few months with no other issues.

It's just a one-off thing most likely.

I have one hen who lays eggs with excess calcium consistently. They're perfectly fine to eat and she's healthy as can be, it's just a glitch in her system. She's a Marans, and her spots are the opposite of your girl. On mine, the calcium spots are lighter in color. It's not very appealing looking and I don't put those in cartons for customers, but we eat them all the time. She's been doing it on and off for a few months with no other issues.
Thanks for all the input. I shall not concern myself.

Back
Top Bottom