what is with some of these ads on the top of the page????

I assume you mean the Google AdSense ads? (I dont have them turned on right now)

Anyway, the ads are relative to information on the google cookie stored on your PC. If there is nothing on that cookie then it goes by the site the ad is on but if the cookie has information, generally it will show ads relative to the sites your PC has been to lately.

Currently I am seeing ads that go here http://www.apmex.com/ cause I have been looking at silver for Christmas presents.

Nothing says that non chicken related websites cant bit for ads under the key word chicken though.

Last edited:
Advertising keeps the site free to our users. Hosting and maintaining a site like BYC is very expensive. We appreciate that those who do not want to see advertising upgrade their membership to a GFM. This is definitely the appropriate way to use the free services of the site without seeing ads.

We try VERY hard to find chicken only advertising, but it's very difficult to find enough niche specific advertisers that are interested in sponsoring a site like BYC. When that happens we need to turn to third parties (like Google AdSense) to supply the ads, and unfortunately we have much less control over what ads they display.

With that said, we're always working very hard to have related and appropriate ads on BYC, so if any member sees an ad that is inappropriate (compared to other sites on the web like Cnn.com Yahoo, etc.) please let us know!

Ugly - Loud - Inappropriate Ads:

To find and remove the ad we need to know as many details about the ad as possible. We work with many companies to provide ads, so you can imagine how tricky it is to track down.

Here is what we need:

1. A screenshot of the ad on the site
  2. The time / day you saw the ad
  3. Any other info about the ad, especially the URL the ad directs to, for example: if you hoverover the ad, does it give you a click URL, if so, what is it?

(Note: for the ads that are inappropriate that slip through our filters, you probably won't want to click the ad. Hopefully you can still grab some info about the ad to make tracking it down easier)

Again, we are anxious to make sure these kinds of ads don't sneak through, so we need as much info as possible to remove them.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I just use Firefox and Adblock. Problem solved, and as a bonus I don't have to deal with ads on YouTube or other sites.

Strange - I don't have any sort of ad blocker going on but there are no ads on my screen at all.
hu.gif

This is a screenie of what I see (can click to enlarge). Where are the ads at that you're referring to?

Last edited:
Did you turn off the ads? It's a perk of being a GFM.
Strange - I don't have any sort of ad blocker going on but there are no ads on my screen at all.
hu.gif

This is a screenie of what I see (can click to enlarge). Where are the ads at that you're referring to?

Back
Top Bottom