what is with some of these ads on the top of the page????

I had no issue with the banner ads until just now I saw one for the Humane Society of the United States. Now THAT ad I have a problem with!! Pretty sure an organization whose ultimate goal is an end to animal ownership doesn't have any business advertising on a site full of animal owners. jmho.

I had no issue with the banner ads until just now I saw one for the Humane Society of the United States. Now THAT ad I have a problem with!! Pretty sure an organization whose ultimate goal is an end to animal ownership doesn't have any business advertising on a site full of animal owners. jmho.
You completely lost me on the highlighted portion of the above quote. I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just interested (the innate & annoying curiosity of a human being) in why you'd say that? Perhaps I am just sheltered or misinformed, but from what I (thought) I knew, the HSUS's ultimate goal is the welfare of animals - not ending the ownership of them. I'm not an animal rights activist or the opposite (not really extreme in either direction) - just a curious forum member. Is there something we should be aware of in regard to the motives of the HSUS?

I really dont mind the adds they can be quite helpful sometimes as some one said it is sometimes relevant to the latest things Ive been looking at, which include classifieds, so Ive been able to get some new hens because of the adds, and all mine seam to be relevant to chickens so i dont mind.

Yes most seem helpful...but on that day I saw one with women who were very well endowed and it said something to the affect of they liked young men....or something....

I had no searches before that...that might lead to those ads.....lol...unless electric horse fence was somehow involved...... :p.

I know its hard to screen some things.... Ill have to have Hubby look for the ad turn off thingy.....hehe

You completely lost me on the highlighted portion of the above quote. I'm not saying you're wrong...I'm just interested (the innate & annoying curiosity of a human being) in why you'd say that? Perhaps I am just sheltered or misinformed, but from what I (thought) I knew, the HSUS's ultimate goal is the welfare of animals - not ending the ownership of them. I'm not an animal rights activist or the opposite (not really extreme in either direction) - just a curious forum member. Is there something we should be aware of in regard to the motives of the HSUS?
Yes, HSUS is one of the most evil organizations known to man, with many of their leadership having publicly stated that they wish to see an end to all domestic animals, and thus an end to animal ownership of any kind, to include pets. Google it, and you will find lots of info on the true nature of that organization. They fool people into thinking they save animals and their true agenda is really something else entirely. They don't run any animal shelters, they don't actually even make substantial donations to animal shelters (less than 3% of their budget last year went to actual animals), and most of what you see on TV is propaganda fueled by a massive fund raising machine that expertly pulls at the heartstrings of America's animal lovers and then behind their backs pushes legislation that makes it more difficult for farmers to produce, and for breeders to breed, for owners to own etc etc. I cannot say enough against them, they are horrible.

Yes most seem helpful...but on that day I saw one with women who were very well endowed and it said something to the affect of they liked young men....or something....

If you see these again, please send me a note with as much detail as possible and we'll try to get it removed. We have filters setup with the ad networks, but sometimes junk that we specifically say we don't want still slips in from time to time.

Regarding animal right stuff: We don't promote or endorse the ads that come through and if we see ones that are in violation of our policies we will work to remove them. Either way, let's make sure this thread doesn't turn into an animal rights / group discussion since those always seem to turn out poorly.

Advertising keeps the site free to our users. Hosting and maintaining a site like BYC is very expensive. We appreciate that those who do not want to see advertising upgrade their membership to a GFM. This is definitely the appropriate way to use the free services of the site without seeing ads.

We try VERY hard to find chicken only advertising, but it's very difficult to find enough niche specific advertisers that are interested in sponsoring a site like BYC. When that happens we need to turn to third parties (like Google AdSense) to supply the ads, and unfortunately we have much less control over what ads they display.

With that said, we're always working very hard to have related and appropriate ads on BYC, so if any member sees an ad that is inappropriate (compared to other sites on the web like Cnn.com Yahoo, etc.) please let us know!

Ugly - Loud - Inappropriate Ads:

To find and remove the ad we need to know as many details about the ad as possible. We work with many companies to provide ads, so you can imagine how tricky it is to track down.

Here is what we need:

1. A screenshot of the ad on the site
  2. The time / day you saw the ad
  3. Any other info about the ad, especially the URL the ad directs to, for example: if you hoverover the ad, does it give you a click URL, if so, what is it?

(Note: for the ads that are inappropriate that slip through our filters, you probably won't want to click the ad. Hopefully you can still grab some info about the ad to make tracking it down easier)

Again, we are anxious to make sure these kinds of ads don't sneak through, so we need as much info as possible to remove them.

Thanks!

I appreciate the complexity of controlling the third party ads that appear on BYC, but as of the last few months I have noticed a drastic increase in very inappropiate ads on BYC. And these ads are not related to the cookies on the users system. For instance I just opened a new Incognito Window (anonnymous) and the there were three ads on the page, all of which were questionable at best and inappropriate by my standards. The top one was for Nicjimanji Fragrance and featured a video of Nicki running at the camera jostling her half exposed breast up and down. The top side ad was a Guess Jeans ads with video of scantly clad women performing very sexual moves like slowly sliding their hands down towards their crotch. The other was for another fragrance and also included scantly clad women. In the past week I have seen ads from a "Men's Only" video game sites that featured sexual videos of animated women that were practically nude. I have seen post from other people that say that have actually seen ads with, and I quote, "Boobs Popping out". I understand you need to raise funding but there has to be some kind of rating system in place that governs what type of ads appear on a family site like BYC regardless of what cookies are on a computer, because some computers are shared in the same family.

Back
Top Bottom