what is with this chicks toe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sydney13, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i noticed that one of my chicks toes is bent backward but it doesn't seem to hurt her? ive been keeping a eye on it but should i be worried?
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It looks a tad abnormal, but if it isn't affecting how the chick walks and it's not bleeding I wouldn't worry about it.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You're right. It's a bit crooked. Sometimes this is genetic. I agree that as long as you're not breeding this chicken, and she's not in pain, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've actually got two roosters, with crooked toes--one has toes just like yours only it's REALLY EXTREME. Sometimes it's bad genetics, and sometimes it can be caused by a vitamin deficiency. It's probably not from lack of vitamins though, if the rest of your flock is normal.

As long as they're not hurting, I don't worry about it. I wouldn't breed that particular chicken though because the chicks might be like that too.

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I have one like that too, a Barred Rock, and it doesn't seem to affect her in any way. She does not appear to be in pain. She was a late-layer, (about 10-11 months when she started) but otherwise totally normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by