What is wrong with her comb?

inmonkeyness

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
I just noticed that one of my barred rocks has something on her comb. Any ideas what the problem may be? She's about 2 years old. None of my other hens are affected.

It could be from being pecked, or it could be dry fowl pox, especially if you have mosquitoes present. I'm leaning more toward peck marks. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes that will run it's course over 4 weeks or so, and usually is not that serious unless it is a bad strain, and especially if there is wet pox involving lesions in the throat. Has this hen been low in the pecking order, or being chased by another?

It could be from being pecked, or it could be dry fowl pox, especially if you have mosquitoes present. I'm leaning more toward peck marks. Fowl pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes that will run it's course over 4 weeks or so, and usually is not that serious unless it is a bad strain, and especially if there is wet pox involving lesions in the throat. Has this hen been low in the pecking order, or being chased by another?

She is somewhat low in the pecking order. We don't really have a lot of mosquitoes, and none of the other hens are exhibiting symptoms.

Maybe she is getting pecked. Thanks for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom