what is wrong with her crest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by and-roo, Mar 12, 2013.

1. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

my mottled houdan hen has always been one of my coolest looking chickens, but this winter its been kinda wet and now shes not as pretty.her "afro" is all crusty and it looks like she has a bald spot. is she just molting? will it grow back? she is not picked on, she is about second hen in the pecking order. they drink out of a dog bowl and maybe she just got it wet and heavy. we also have a chicken nipple, but they only drink out of it when the bowl is empty. i have a sultan too but she looks normal. shes acting normal and doesnt seem to care. she is laying normal eggs. any ideas? i hope im on the right forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    My silkies do this sometimes. Are the feathers frozen?

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    have you checked for mites or bugs?if so and no bugs maybe a molt? or like above post said frozen feathers?

4. and-roo

it doesnt look like she has mites, but i dont know what that would look like. how do i know if her feathers are frozen?

5. bribre

bribre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    It's just mud give her a bath and she will be good as new. Happens to my silkies in the winter all the time...

6. and-roo

how do you give them a bath?

7. bribre

bribre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    Fill up the sink get some soap and lather her up really good than rinse her and blow dry. Make sure she's good and dry before you put her back out so she won't get cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by