What is wrong with my chicken? Leg issues

mbrown1993

Hatching
Jul 14, 2019
So my chicken has had a dodgy leg for a while now. We did initially sort it but now it has come back. She eats and drinks fine but barely moves all day. And will have a huge limp when trying to move on her foot.

I have to carry her into her bed every night and i'm not sure what this could be. Arthritis maybe?

See images attached for visual on how its almost collapsed?

Attachments

• Snapchat-189089398.jpg
    Snapchat-189089398.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 29
Examine the bottom of her feet and look for sores. Bumblefoot maybe.
She also may have injured her leg with a hard landing on a hard surface. Do you chickens have high roosts or nest boxes?
it's not bumblefoot, that was the first concern. But yes they do have a variety ofd heights of things they can jump onto, so that could be an issue. I am also not sure if whilst digging, her foot has got caught and maybe has twisted it.

Injuries are common. Look for swelling of joints, bruising or redness. With her sitting on her hocks eating in the pic, riboflavin (B2) deficiency, which causes one to sit on hocks and curled under toes, comes to mind. Also Mareks disease can cause weakness or sitting on hocks in one or both legs. I would try some vitamin B complex for a week or two, just to see if it improves. Make sure that she can alsways get to food and water, or place her in a pen nexxt to the other chickens, with food and water.

upload_2019-7-15_8-1-59.jpeg

Injuries are common. Look for swelling of joints, bruising or redness. With her sitting on her hocks eating in the pic, riboflavin (B2) deficiency, which causes one to sit on hocks and curled under toes, comes to mind. Also Mareks disease can cause weakness or sitting on hocks in one or both legs. I would try some vitamin B complex for a week or two, just to see if it improves. Make sure that she can alsways get to food and water, or place her in a pen nexxt to the other chickens, with food and water.

View attachment 1845567
a brilliant, in-depth response. Thank you. I had started to conclude it was marek's related. So definitely will give the vitamins a go and see how she gets on. Thank you :)

I have something similar going on with a hen on mine. Weak on her right leg only, won't/can't put any weight on it and doesn't grasp with her toes. Could this be Mareks?

I have something similar going on with a hen on mine. Weak on her right leg only, won't/can't put any weight on it and doesn't grasp with her toes. Could this be Mareks?
How old is your hen?
Can you post some photos please?
If she is of laying age, when did she last lay an egg?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Any swelling, injury, crusty/raised scales of the leg/joints/feet/bottom of feet?
Crop emptying overnight?
Any lice/mites or worms?

How old is your hen?
Can you post some photos please?
If she is of laying age, when did she last lay an egg?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
Any swelling, injury, crusty/raised scales of the leg/joints/feet/bottom of feet?
Crop emptying overnight?
Any lice/mites or worms?

I can take a video and pictures of her tonight when I get home. My husband found her in the yard on Saturday, she was laying to one side. She let him walk right up to her so he knew something was off. I separated her and gave her poultry cell. I noticed she could not put any weight on her right leg and would not grasp with her toes. I did find out she had worms and treated her that day with wazine. She has been eating and drinking very well, and laying an egg everyday. She is about a year and 4 months old.

We feed Purina Layena Crumble with Oyster Shell. We also give some scratch from time to time, but not daily. Sometimes we give scrambled eggs, yogurt, and fruit as treats also.

I looked her over good but did not see any injuries. The bottoms of her feet looked ok and she didn't seem to be in pain when I did some range of motion on her leg and felt around.

I have read that some people give Vitamin B for Mareks...is that right?

Back
Top Bottom