what is wrong with my chicks eye?

Chick_Jimin

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
One of my chicks has her eyes closed and its watery and foamy, when I opened there was something white coming out of it. WHat is it? Can I take it off?
69bd49c5-f6a4-4172-a9d9-89213edb8b80.png

There are many possibilities, and I can't see the photo very well, but since this is in emergencies I'll try to reach out. My thoughts were: 1)Could it be an eye worm? Google chicken eye worm or i'm sure there's threads on here. It's hard to see. If it is, some folks use VetRx in the eye. You will need to flush and gently remove the white part if it is eye worms. 2) Infection? There is a terramycin gel you buy at Tractor Supply for eye problems if it's an infection and you are sure it's an infection. 3) If you're not sure, until you can fully diagnose, I always keep Vetricyn Pink Eye Gel handy -- for like everything. It's very expensive, but I use it for tons of things around the farm because if you get it in their eye, it's fine. It's my go-to for crown injuries when the roos have fought because unlike venetian blue or other meds, if it goes in the eye, it's no problem. Since you actually have an eye problem, I would get some of that. I'm just telling you that when you buy that spray bottle for $33 don't worry, you will get LOTS of good out of that stuff around ANY animals yo might have. Good luck!

Eye worm is extremely rare. It’s pus from a respiratory infection. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Coryza can cause this. Does it have an awful fishy smell?

One of my chicks has her eyes closed and its watery and foamy, when I opened there was something white coming out of it. WHat is it? Can I take it off?
Where are you located in the world?
Does your chick have any other symptoms?
Any bad odors about the face or lesions inside the beak?
Is it one eye or both?

More photos that are clear are welcome as well.

YES! Flush the eye with saline, press out the pus, then put an eye ointment in the eye. Terramycin eye ointment can be found at TSC. If you can't find Terramycin, then use Original Neosporin in the eye.

If your chick has other symptoms, let us know. An antibiotic may be need to treat symptoms in addition to you cleaning out the eye 2-3 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom