What is wrong with my Cockerels eye

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
This is white Meat. He was hatched on July 31. He is an australorp and one of our backyard chickens. We found his eye like this today. He cannot open it except for a slit and we can see that he is still looking around with it. I have no idea what happened. Is this an injury or illness? All the other chickens appear fine.

Edit: his other eye appears normal

Attachments

• PXL_20240213_172429044.jpg
    PXL_20240213_172429044.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 23
Some helpful quoted information regarding antibiotic ointments:
Hi Bob! :frow Some of the Neosporins use a painkiller in the ointment, however if the added painkiller is Pramoxine HCl, this is safe for chickens. Any ointment which uses one of the "....caines", (lidocaine for example,) is toxic to chickens. Generally the stuff labeled "Triple Antibiotic Cream" is safe for birds. When in doubt, use painkiller free. :)

I agree, he looks like he may have been pecked in the eye. You can also use Vertercyn spray on it too. Make SURE to regularly peel open his eye lids, a friend of mines rooster got into a fight with the other rooster, his eye swelled shut. But she didn't realize the lids had been torn and over time they stitched up together except for one tiny corner of his eye. His eye sight was very poor and limited because of it. So make sure the lids don't stitch together.

I agree, he looks like he may have been pecked in the eye. You can also use Vertercyn spray on it too. Make SURE to regularly peel open his eye lids, a friend of mines rooster got into a fight with the other rooster, his eye swelled shut. But she didn't realize the lids had been torn and over time they stitched up together except for one tiny corner of his eye. His eye sight was very poor and limited because of it. So make sure the lids don't stitch together.
Thank you for this tip! We have the vetricyn spray so we will use that. I will keep these tips in mind

Back
Top Bottom