What is wrong with my duck??

KaLo

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 25, 2013
North Florida
I have 2 one-month old Pekin ducks. This morning when I checked on them, one (Skeeter) was lying on it's back looking almost dead. I removed the other duck (Pippa) and then held the injured duck until it perked back up and then seemed to be fine. A while later, I found Skeeter on it's back again with the Pippa standing over it. I am not sure if they are males or females because they still "Peep" but your forum seems to indicate they are too young to be mating if they are opposite sex.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for 2 ducks that have been raised together and have so far been the best of friends? Should I keep them separated? I am worried that the one might kill the other.

Thanks for any help.

I have 2 one-month old Pekin ducks. This morning when I checked on them, one (Skeeter) was lying on it's back looking almost dead. I removed the other duck (Pippa) and then held the injured duck until it perked back up and then seemed to be fine. A while later, I found Skeeter on it's back again with the Pippa standing over it. I am not sure if they are males or females because they still "Peep" but your forum seems to indicate they are too young to be mating if they are opposite sex.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal for 2 ducks that have been raised together and have so far been the best of friends? Should I keep them separated? I am worried that the one might kill the other.

Thanks for any help.
Are you sure they are fighting ? are they dirty with ruffled feathers which shows me hear when my 2 drakes are at it again, could Skeeter be having seizures and maybe Pippa is just standing there wondering whats going on? they are way to young to be fighting or mating.

welcome-byc.gif

Skeeter was all matted on the back with shavings kind of ground in. Pippa was clean. I didn't think about seizures--is that common? I now have Skeeter in the duck house and Pippa in the fenced yard so they can see each other--they hate to be separated. I will see if it happens when they cannot reach each other. THANK YOU so much Miss Lydia!

Something is definitely wrong with Skeeter! I just checked on her (let's use that for the sake of discussion), and she was not on her back but seemed dazed and wobbly on her feet and her feathers were all rumpled again. Any idea what it could be??

I have been feeding them Dumor starter/grower since I brought them home 4 weeks ago. Been adding 100 mg niacin to their water daily since then also. Pippa seems fine. Is it possible they are getting too much niacin? I read on here that too much can cause liver problems?

Skeeter is eating and drinking but just not herself. Usually she likes to play "chase" when I go to pick her up but she is happy to be held today. So wish they could talk-ya know? :/

I would not worry about the extra niacin, since Dumor is a chick starter. Ducks are individuals, though, so we cannot rule out the possibility she has a lower niacin need. Go with your gut.

She may be deficient in some other component of her diet, she may have a pinched nerve or similar injury. There are a number of things that can cause seizures.

If you can get her to a duck vet, that is best, and I know we do not all have that option.

She could have an infection.

I have been feeding them Dumor starter/grower since I brought them home 4 weeks ago. Been adding 100 mg niacin to their water daily since then also. Pippa seems fine. Is it possible they are getting too much niacin? I read on here that too much can cause liver problems?

Skeeter is eating and drinking but just not herself. Usually she likes to play "chase" when I go to pick her up but she is happy to be held today. So wish they could talk-ya know? :/
Is there anyway she may have eaten something she souldn't have? I'd keep them where you can keep a close eye on her so when it happens agin hopefully you'll be there to see. I agree with Amiga if you can take her to a vet then that would be best. But we know it's not always possible. I'd continue with the niacin and add some vitamins along with it. there are some good poultry vitamins out there. Please keep us updated . Make sure she isn't too cold and out of drafts.

Update- Skeeter seems to be doing fine now! So grateful! Thank you to those who suggested it might be seizures. I threw every home remedy I could find on the web at her and she has been seizure free for 24 hours. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

I have no idea what actually did the job but here is what I did just in case it can help anyone else.

1- 1000 mg vitamin E down her beak.
2- activated charcoal (capsule from GNC) given to her on the cut end of grapes to make sure she took the whole thing. One capsule daily for last 3 days.
3- raw apple cider vinegar in her water
4- brewers yeast on her food
5- Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins daily

Continuing with niacin in the "yard" water and vinegar in the "house" water for both of them. Brewers yeast in their food.

I'm going to give Skeeter one more activated charcoal capsule today just to be sure. I may start giving each of them a weekly dose of charcoal since we live in Florida and there are all kinds of weird bugs and critters that they can come across. Skeeter will also get the vitamins daily to be on the safe side.

Thank you to all of you that contribute on this site. It really is a God-send.

Last edited:
Update- Skeeter seems to be doing fine now! So grateful! Thank you to those who suggested it might be seizures. I threw every home remedy I could find on the web at her and she has been seizure free for 24 hours. I am cautiously optimistic at this point.

I have no idea what actually did the job but here is what I did just in case it can help anyone else.

1- 1000 mg vitamin E down her beak.
2- activated charcoal (capsule from GNC) given to her on the cut end of grapes to make sure she took the whole thing. One capsule daily for last 3 days.
3- raw apple cider vinegar in her water
4- brewers yeast on her food
5- Poly-vi-sol infant vitamins daily

Continuing with niacin in the "yard" water and vinegar in the "house" water for both of them. Brewers yeast in their food.

I'm going to give Skeeter one more activated charcoal capsule today just to be sure. I may start giving each of them a weekly dose of charcoal since we live in Florida and there are all kinds of weird bugs and critters that they can come across. Skeeter will also get the vitamins daily to be on the safe side.

Thank you to all of you that contribute on this site. It really is a god-send.
Great news... you have done a great job in getting her through what ever it was. and thank you for giving us this info so hopefully it will help someone else down the line.

Back
Top Bottom