cnielsen

Songster
Aug 28, 2020
Hi there.
Me and my family are fairly new to owning chickens, with a little experience from the past. Recently we got 7 hens of various breeds and 1 rooster from some friends, and we love them so much.
We left on vacation about a week or two after first getting them, and a seemingly healthy hen passed away while we were gone. she was eating, drinking, and we think laying but we’re not sure since they were all stressed from the move.
We have since treated all of them for coccidiosis and they have been all laying, and their slightly runny poop has returned to normal.
However one of our hens, Moira, has still been having some very watery poop and possibly some diarrhea. She has had a nearly naked bottom since we first got her, but she has access to lots of dust in case it was mites but the other chickens are fine.
(the black hen is Moira. she’s very sassy)
54EE10EB-D8C0-4C54-82AA-45D4F61C417A.jpeg

C6B36D6B-6858-4BD8-BC6F-408E1BDB1635.jpeg

(below picture isn’t her, she’s impossible to get this close to. her bottom looks like this but it’s only visible when she is cleaning the feathers around there)
BA539687-F259-4261-8427-3B648710F3A9.jpeg

She still eats, chases around some of the other hens, and drinks water throughout the day. She doesn’t seem weak in any way.
I was very concerned this morning when i went to let them out of the coop, and i found a white squishy abnormally shaped blob on the bottom of the coop near a nesting box. i squished it and what appeared to be some very light yolk came out.
I would show a picture of it, but when i went inside to finish feeding our other animals and possibly get a bag for it, it was gone when i returned. I think it may have been a lash egg, but it also looked like an abnormally shaped soft shell egg. either way not very good.
I don’t know of any avian vets around here, does anyone have an idea what could be wrong with her? how to help? 54EE10EB-D8C0-4C54-82AA-45D4F61C417A.jpeg

The egg sound like she laid a completely shell-less egg. Which which usually isn’t a big deal especially if it’s a one time thing. But I can’t say I know anything about the feather loss though. Maybe try asking whoever you got the hen from about it if possible.

The egg sound like she laid a completely shell-less egg. Which which usually isn’t a big deal especially if it’s a one time thing. But I can’t say I know anything about the feather loss though. Maybe try asking whoever you got the hen from about it if possible.
thank you! we will see if we can get in touch

Back
Top Bottom