What is wrong with this chicken?

I did a little digging and the only thing i found related to mold with neck shaking as a sign was called Ergotism or Sod disease.
It's rare and is picked up from moldy feed but i dont see why water wouldnt do it.
Are there any more symptoms or things that are off about her?
No she doesn't have any other symptoms really. She is having a hard time walking but I think that is from the head shaking. If I hold her I can get her to drink fresh water but she isn't really eating. I got her to take a couple bites of egg.

I had something similar and she ended up having Mareks, i will do more details below incase you’re curious.

She had a start of a lash egg and strange yellow lesions throughout the body, with ovarian cancer/ascites. She had enlarged heart and thickened stomach lining. She just began twisting her neck to the side, not eating, very strange (runny/undigested poop, or bright neon purple/blue, etc.) uncoordinated and began to be paralyzed for moments before getting up again. i just thought i would share. There are many other things this could be other then what was described above.

I had something similar and she ended up having Mareks, i will do more details below incase you’re curious.

She had a start of a lash egg and strange yellow lesions throughout the body, with ovarian cancer/ascites. She had enlarged heart and thickened stomach lining. She just began twisting her neck to the side, not eating, very strange (runny/undigested poop, or bright neon purple/blue, etc.) uncoordinated and began to be paralyzed for moments before getting up again. i just thought i would share. There are many other things this could be other then what was described above.
Thank you! For the information.

It's not from the water- that's algae. My waterers have it to the point that my chickens eat it when the water gets low enough.
We have a kiddie pool in their run too that gets like that in the summer and it's never been an issue. But my husband made a rain barrel that had actual mold in it so I wasn't sure if it could be related.

Hard to know for sure if the death and the chicken with the neurological symptoms are related, unless you get a necropsy on Monday by your state vet. The treatment for mold is to stop the exposure. Vitamin E 400 IU softgel given orally one a day can treat some neurological symptoms. She needs to be separated to protect her from others hurting her. Seizure like behavior can occur in chickens from an unknown cause, head injuries, and vitamin E deficiency.
Yeah we weren't sure about them being related or not it was just strange it happened at the same time. Our chickens have always been so healthy, we have never had any bug or anything. We did change their food about a month and a half ago. I don't know how long it would take for her to get deficient in vitamins if that was the cause. The feed we switched to is from a mill so I thought it would be better for them. Thank you I have separated her for the time being the others were starting to pick on her. I started her on vitamin E with selenium. From the research I have done I was thinking it might be wry neck..

Water is the most essential nutrient of all, and water-borne diseases plague all sorts of animals everywhere. The simple rule is, don't require your chickens to drink water that you wouldn't drink yourself. I know they choose to drink from puddles etc. when they have a choice, but their instincts are guiding them then. In confinement they are stuck with what you supply.

Water is the most essential nutrient of all, and water-borne diseases plague all sorts of animals everywhere. The simple rule is, don't require your chickens to drink water that you wouldn't drink yourself. I know they choose to drink from puddles etc. when they have a choice, but their instincts are guiding them then. In confinement they are stuck with what you supply.
You are right! We have 3 waterers for them to drink from and only one of them had the mold.

Back
Top Bottom