What is your bedtime routine?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 12, 2011.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Wondering what tasks you complete each night? I had a person laugh at me once (a non chicken person) because I had to put the chickens to "bed" every night! They could not imagine what that would entail!

2. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I go out with a coffee can half full of pellets and yell chick, chick, chick!!! They all come running.

My friends and family get a kick out of it, to. They crowd around my feet and I sometimes have a hard time walking with out stepping on a bird. I walk them to the run, toss in the pellets, and they all run in. I close the door to their run and when they're all settled in the coop, I close the door to the coop.

They all crowd around and seem lost if I don't go out and put them to bed. Or they roost on my husband's tool bench - not good. LOL

Blessings-
    Em

3. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    My chicks climb up the ladder into the coop out of the run every night around 8:30 pm. I open it up and check on them, count them and say good night. Every morning the are in the run before I get up, I check and refill the feeder and waterer, and that's about it. Now that I'm on break, I will let them out right after the dogs are done playing and clearing the perimeter.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I just close the door to the coop around 9:00 and put the food in the run away. Even though I only have four, I look in on them and say "Good night, be good." [​IMG]

5. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I have to close the people door up before they go in, as they were roosting atop that door the other night. Then when they go in, and I let them migrate on their own, unless I am too tired first. Then I shut the outside pop door, shut the inside pop door, wait to make sure the 2 "not so agile" ladies make it up to the roost. Then, I say goodnight, and come in:) People do think I am crazy....LOL

6. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    I go and check all are accounted for in the main coop, 22. then check mum and 2 babies are ok in a separate pen, then the broody on 6 eggs is ok in another run, and my frizzle and Roo , separated because of lice, in another pen. Then back indoors to cool down and mist the 3 goose eggs, check the 11 chocolate orpingtons in there at the same time and then make a cup of tea !!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    It's just like tucking in children. My flock puts them in bed at night, but I always go count bums every night to make sure I have them all.

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I like that expression!

9. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Yes, I also "put the chickens to bed". I fill their feeder and hang it up so the mice can't get it over night. Freshen the water. Sweep the shavings in their doorway so that I can close and lock the door. Say "goodnight chickens". I lock the door to the run. I then go to the "people" door and do a head count and give another "night night chickens". I think they appreciate it even though they all just look at me like "you're a weirdo" Come to think of it, so does my husband.

10. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I turn off the computer...sad isn't it? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by