What is your bedtime routine?

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
Wondering what tasks you complete each night? I had a person laugh at me once (a non chicken person) because I had to put the chickens to "bed" every night! They could not imagine what that would entail!

I go out with a coffee can half full of pellets and yell chick, chick, chick!!! They all come running.

My friends and family get a kick out of it, to. They crowd around my feet and I sometimes have a hard time walking with out stepping on a bird. I walk them to the run, toss in the pellets, and they all run in. I close the door to their run and when they're all settled in the coop, I close the door to the coop.

They all crowd around and seem lost if I don't go out and put them to bed. Or they roost on my husband's tool bench - not good. LOL

Blessings-
Em

My chicks climb up the ladder into the coop out of the run every night around 8:30 pm. I open it up and check on them, count them and say good night. Every morning the are in the run before I get up, I check and refill the feeder and waterer, and that's about it. Now that I'm on break, I will let them out right after the dogs are done playing and clearing the perimeter.

I just close the door to the coop around 9:00 and put the food in the run away. Even though I only have four, I look in on them and say "Good night, be good."
smile.png

I have to close the people door up before they go in, as they were roosting atop that door the other night. Then when they go in, and I let them migrate on their own, unless I am too tired first. Then I shut the outside pop door, shut the inside pop door, wait to make sure the 2 "not so agile" ladies make it up to the roost. Then, I say goodnight, and come in:) People do think I am crazy....LOL

I go and check all are accounted for in the main coop, 22. then check mum and 2 babies are ok in a separate pen, then the broody on 6 eggs is ok in another run, and my frizzle and Roo , separated because of lice, in another pen. Then back indoors to cool down and mist the 3 goose eggs, check the 11 chocolate orpingtons in there at the same time and then make a cup of tea !!!

Last edited:
It's just like tucking in children. My flock puts them in bed at night, but I always go count bums every night to make sure I have them all.

Yes, I also "put the chickens to bed". I fill their feeder and hang it up so the mice can't get it over night. Freshen the water. Sweep the shavings in their doorway so that I can close and lock the door. Say "goodnight chickens". I lock the door to the run. I then go to the "people" door and do a head count and give another "night night chickens". I think they appreciate it even though they all just look at me like "you're a weirdo" Come to think of it, so does my husband.

Back
Top Bottom