What is your bedtime routine?

Most of mine go in on their own but my frizzle hen grace requires a ride up to the roost every night as well as a few others that have trouble getting a good spot on the roost. In the morning there are several that have gotten used to the ride down from the roost, my oldest cochin hen refuses to jump down from the roost in the morning so If I forget to take her down she will stay there all day long. After everyone is in for the night I lock the pop door and main door and refresh their waterers.

Quote:
Me too! Love the expression. I usually bring something tasty, like watermelon, craisins, or some bread and yell "Chickens!" the barred rocks are always the first to come running and to investigate what I've brought. I have been out late and come home to find all of them roosting inside. I counted the bums and told them they were good chickens and locked the door.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

The girls pretty much put themselves to bed, & I'll go out to take out their screen on the door & give whoever is closest to the door will get a pat or a ruffle of their feathers under thier wings. One in particular will walk down the poop board to say "good night" to me, she especially loves a ruffle under her wings. Then I say "good night, we want eggs for breakfast!", close & latch the door & lock the run door.

My 9 girls put them selves to bed at sundown. My son (2) and I just close up the door to the coop (free rangers) and the door to the duck hut. Then walk around to the nest boxes' outside doors and chase Uno off the nests. Uno is a production red that while doing her juvenile molt, she had 1 tail feather left sticking straight up for around a week, but she has taken a liking to sleeping in a nest box. So I'm trying to re-educate her to what a roost is for, since we have two very nice roosts in there. Then I say good nite ladies and my son says nite-nite. Then we go inside.

I know this sounds strange. Everyone goes in by them selves and them i go out to tuck them in. First I do a count then they each get a small hug and I say Nite nite to each (nite nite CindyLou) Then as I close the door I say see you in the morning Mommy loves you.
hugs.gif
Is that over the top or what my kids are grown 26 & 12 both girls. The 12 year old is going through that uck phase
gig.gif

Well I go out and feed all the rabbits and water them, fill the calf water trough/tire up, feed the dog and water him, gather/hunt the eggs put them in cartons in the house and by this time it is usually dark and all the chicks and chickens have went to bed- shut all 3 doors, check on the chicks in the brooders and then go in the house and start supper. I was always brought up that the animals should always be fed and taken care of before yourself. So we usually aren't eating supper until 8:30/9pm these days. But anyway DH usually isn't in the house until then either. Especially now since the wheat will probably be ready next week to combine and then it will be fescue season and then haying...

Our 6 x 8 week olds have been in the coop for about 10 days now.......they put themselves in about 9:20, I stick my head in the service door and say good night, and after locking up - I admit - I sneek around and peek in the far window and watch them for a few minutes - they are too funny as they work out their roosting - in a bit of a pile up ON the roost where they all watch out the window at something in the distance (I think a distant street light?) just like it's chicken t.v., until they fall asleep. Their first 2 nights, they basically formed a chicken pyramid on the roost:)

I don't have a routine but the chickens do. First the polish chicks go in and have a prebedtime snackie and some water while everyone is out. Then the four banties wander in and out for awhile trying to decide if they all are ready for bed because they won't do anything without the others. A quick snack for them and then everyone finds their roosting spot. Eventually the big girls will come along. They feel they are deserving of a later bedtime. If I'm outside they won't go in though because they're sure the grownups are doing something more interesting then sleeping and they don't want to miss out on any opportunity for random chickie treats. I have to go inside and wait but eventually they'll go in and talk smack to the little ones for a bit then settle in. It cracks me up that the have assigned themselves individual bedtimes by age.

Back
Top Bottom