What is your chickens' favorite treat?

I have one old hen that follows me to the garden every morning, where just outside the fence, i have a few rocks that i turn over for her. She loves crickets!

Well I thought mine went nuts over bread, watermelon and fresh corn on the cob, til I went out there with a can of tuna in water.

I about got attacked! Chickens that usually keep their distance were flying up on my shoulders and arms trying to get at the can!! Which I usually wouldn't mind, but 3-4 seven pound chickens all landing on me at the same time about knocked me on by butt
gig.gif

Silly Chickens! Mine love most anything, except cereals, chips and sunflower seeds. Oh and pumpkin didn't go over so well.

For mine, watermelon is hands down the favorite. They'll even eat the entire rind! I've heard that marshmallows are a pretty hillarious treat (never tried myself), especially the mini marshmallows. I've seen what they do with clover flowers, basically run around making the "look at me! I've got something really cool!" noise, and have been told that they do that to the nth degree with minis.

Of course, I have no idea how great an idea it is nutritionally, but hey.
idunno.gif

-Christian

i haven't "experimented" with that many diffrent snacks yet but so far there favs are yogut mixed with chick feed, and meal worms and nightcrawlers... on the list of not so favs is plain oatmeal,watermelon and sweet corn....

notsooldmcdonald,
welcome-byc.gif
Hey, another New Englander joins the fun! Yeah!

When I cut up a zuke whale (too big and over-ripe for us), our older hens eagerly pick out all the seeds and sometimes leave the rest, while our pullets pick out and toss the seeds nearby then eat up every molecule of the squash! Nutty things!
roll.png

hmmm. favorite foods. *ponders* they love their salads (aka weeds i pull from the yard), one weed in particular, but i don't know its name.

corn is a favorite, and bread in any form, though i thought they were going to kill one another when i tossed a half-eaten blueberry waffle into their pen! *note to self: in future, break up waffle before serving. end note*

they have us pretty well trained too, my husband is the best trained. they have an uncanny sense for when he's home and will kick up a noise-fest until he emerges with food.

I tried pumpkins, but they didn't go over so well. But they looooooooooooove watermelon and cooked spaghetti noodles, plain with no sauce. They run all over the yard and snatch the dangling pieces from each others mouths!

Back
Top Bottom