What is Your DREAM Flock? (And What's Realistic?)

Pics
Still trying to catch up on this thread!

Sounds about like me, I want all the colored eggs, I've got an order in that's arriving on my birthday the only one I dint get was the samon flavoras I think its called, I've heard they lay a light pink egg.
Salmon Faverolles. I've heard they can lay pink too, but it may not be guaranteed. Many breeds lay different shades of light brown and some just end up being pinkish, especially with different amounts of bloom. I have an EE that doesn't lay green as hoped, just pale tan... but on a good day her egg looks rather pink. I've managed to save up a dozen eggs from her over a couple weeks and every single one is a different shade.

i can send you lavender orpington eggs.
bfc01885-65ef-4bc4-a72b-3c38f4443f72-jpeg.1736549
Those are such beautiul birds! I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future!!

Those breeds should give you some nice olive eggers if you breed them! Is that what you're going for?

I want a Lavender Orpington, a Golden Laced Wyandotte, and a Hamburg.

I’ve wanted a Lavender Orpington for a while but where I live they’re hard to find :hmm

Wyandotte’s and Hamburgs are hard to find too but I think they’re so pretty :rolleyes:
I found Lavender Orpington chicks on Meyer Hatchery. They have 70 available for shipping on April 15th, 2019. St. Run is $19.25 each, Females are $22.70 each, and Males are $15.89 each. They ship all over the U.S and are a day old. I don't know about the shipping. Just thought I'd let you know :D

My dream flock would consist of one of probably every breed (of course!) but sadly, I cannot have what I want where I live.

I am totally egg obsessed and trying to achieve the most colorful egg basket (and colorful chickens) with the least amount of birds possible in my suburban backyard. Seasonal availability and hatchery minimums are somewhat a hinderance, so I'm dependent on what my local feed store happens to carry.

My current laying birds include Easter Egger, Buff Orp and Blue Wyandotte. I just got 2 little chicks Sunday... Black Dominant Copper and an Olive Egger. I wanted to get one more, a white or cream egg layer... the store's getting a new shipment tomorrow. Can't decide between White Leghorn, Sicilian Buttercup, Speckled Sussex or.... Columbian Wyandotte-just because I want a white chicken and they're so beautiful even though they lay brown eggs.

Oh, decisions decisions!! What should I do??? I just want them all!!!!!!!

View attachment 1732016

Check out papas poultry in Redding ca I think. He has nice quality from my experience and good selection

My dream flock would be 15 or less...I have 30 now 6 would be awesome but impossible! Must haves: cream or gold brabanter, spitzhauben, bantam Cochin(2?), bantam wyandottes(silver pencil), MY lavender and gold olive egger ( the most gorgeous bird and egg too) quail or blue quail d’anver,2 seramas, gold sexlink ( really pretty great layers and super friendly and inquisitive). I could keep going which is why I have 30

My own flock. That is mine. And it is currently unrealistic.

I've had chickens for 7 years, love it beyond measure. BUT... landlords kicked me out of rental and sold the property (for too much $). Then my (now ex) boyfriend, who wanted nothing to do with real commitment, kicked me out... and now "my" small flock is at his house and I beg to keep them. It's kinda working, for now.

But when I recently rescued a little pullet from the highway (looked a lot like an accidental escape from a delivery truck) and that pullet ended up on the ex's porch, s**t hit the fan again all too similar to when we were coexisting. No congrats on saving a life, just "you continue to overstep boundaries and mess up my life." Which is pretty much true.

I don't know what's going on in the rest of the country, but in this stupid mountain/ski town, property values are continuing to climb and my paychecks are not. Nothing sells for less than $250,000 and I make under $30,000 a year.

Does anyone have suggestions for:
-an awesome town where farming is allowed or even welcomed, land is somewhat affordable, and people don't try to steal everything you own?
-a non-creepy, non-smartphone dating site where I might find a reasonably intelligent man looking for a hardworking farm-girl-at-heart to build a life together?

Here is my little road-hen. Any Coloradans or SW Utahns want to adopt?:
SAM_6289.JPG

She looks beak-trimmed, which furthered my notion of bailing from a delivery truck...

SAM_6292.JPG

My dream flock is probably what I have right now. I have an Olive Egger, Cream Crested Legbar, and 2 Red Sex Links. I do want to add in a white egg layer or cream egg layer at some point! I'm not restricted on how many birds I can have because I'm on agricultural land which is quite nice. I don't want to get carried away though, I think my maximum is 6 birds.

Back
Top Bottom