What is Your DREAM Flock? (And What's Realistic?)

Pics
My dream flock would be a rooster of every breed, and enough hens to keep everybody happy.
And much much more property :D

Oh man there are SO many roosters I want. So bad. But I live in the suburbs. I feel really lucky to have chickens at all.

What's your favorite type of roo? I think I'd have to go Polish or White Sultan. One of my newest chick acquisitions may or may not be a cockerel, so we'll see whether it turns into a roo or not. If so I'll probably have to rehome him unfortunately, which will make me sad because that chick is fiesty and beautiful.

Oh man.... Much like you OP, I would love to one day have at least one of my favorite breeds if not all breeds. Otherwise, my main and realistic goal is to breed my own Easter Eggers and maybe make a blue laced red line of Easter Eggers if I can figure out how... But otherwise, a flock of Easter Eggers is as simple as it would get for me!

Having rainbow eggs is another wish of mine! I'm only missing the olive eggers or green eggs in general. Hoping to solve that down the road. :)

If I could start breeding and selling my own EEs I'd be very happy and content.

We're restricted to 3 here. We're getting chicks this month - a red sex link, an Ideal 236 (Leghorn hybrid), and an Easter Egger - so we can start our chicken experiences with three we can tell apart, and we can tell who's laying. But - if the bill passes Texas house and senate, our restriction might go up to 6. I'd like a Buff Orpington, I've heard so much good stuff about them, and I've just been seeing the pictures of Golden Laced Wyandotte, so I want one of those. What are those hens that lay the deep chocolate brown eggs? Maybe that for the 6th one.
Black Copper Marans lay the dark brown eggs. :)

We have two flocks at the moment. The egg layers & their roo:
5 Easter Eggers
2 Silver Laced Wyandottes
2 Buff Orpingtons
3 Black Copper Marans
1 Light Brahma
1 Gold SexLink
1 Black SexLink
1 Swedish Flower Hen Rooster

The Bantam/Silkie coop has:
1 White Silkie Roo
1 Black Silkie
4 Black Ameraucana Bantams
And our odd ball Large Fowl Buff Brahma that thinks she is a Silkie. This group is by far the friendliest group. They talk to me like crazy when I go into feed them and are always close to me. Well except for “No No” the rooster.....he seems determined to catch me unawares and flog me. Luckily for him, he stops when you look at him and yell no.

Right now in the brooder my daughter has 4 Frizzle Bantam Cochins (red, blue, black & white). These will join the bantam group when they are ready.

There are some that I wouldn’t get again: Buff Orpingtons & Silver Laced Wyandotte are two breed that I don’t feel the need to get again.

There are some I’d like to add to the layer coop:
Oliver Eggers
Cream Legbars
Ameraucanas
Salmon Favorelles
Lavendar Brahmas
Blue Jersey Giants

Back
Top Bottom