What is Your DREAM Flock? (And What's Realistic?)

I just started my dream flock 8 weeks ago. I have a chicken tractor perfect for four chickens and I have a blue orpington, a black copper marans, a cream legbar, and a white leghorn. An assortment of beautiful (and different looking) chickens that lay an assortment of egg colors. I think they've worked out their pecking order now and seem to be getting along pretty well.
That's amazing! Sounds like you have tons of gorgeous chickens and eggs!

I look outside and see my dream flock(s) every day! We have. ... deep breath inserted here lol....
Buff Orpingtons
Barred Rock
Blue Plymouths
Blue Copper Marans
French Black Copper Marans
Silkies (black, blue and splash)
Booted Bantams (mille fleur and porcelain)
OEGB
Jersey Giants
Light Brahmas
Black Australorps
Delaware
White Cochins
Easter Eggers
Golden Laced Polish
White Leghorns

My dream flock would consist of one of probably every breed (of course!) but sadly, I cannot have what I want where I live.

I am totally egg obsessed and trying to achieve the most colorful egg basket (and colorful chickens) with the least amount of birds possible in my suburban backyard. Seasonal availability and hatchery minimums are somewhat a hinderance, so I'm dependent on what my local feed store happens to carry.

My current laying birds include Easter Egger, Buff Orp and Blue Wyandotte. I just got 2 little chicks Sunday... Black Dominant Copper and an Olive Egger. I wanted to get one more, a white or cream egg layer... the store's getting a new shipment tomorrow. Can't decide between White Leghorn, Sicilian Buttercup, Speckled Sussex or.... Columbian Wyandotte-just because I want a white chicken and they're so beautiful even though they lay brown eggs.

Oh, decisions decisions!! What should I do??? I just want them all!!!!!!!

View attachment 1732016

I have 3 Lavender Orpington's, 2 Silver laced Wyandotte's, 2 Barred rock's, 2 Color pack easter egger's, 1 Isa brown, and 1 Dominant copper.

All I'm missing in my flock, is a Gold laced Wyandotte and 2 Silver laced Polish.

That's my dream flock.

Hard to choose! I would like to have about six black Austrolorps because they lay white eggs. We've tried having white Leghorns but the coyotes pick them off pretty quickly. The EEs and other mottled hens seem to do pretty well, being nicely camouflaged. Our Sheltie also provides good protection. We have 3 young brown Leghorns coming up, but they seem a whole lot flightier than the EE chicks of the same age. I've named one of them Wild Thing, another Ms Hyde, and the third Spooky - but the mealworms are really helping their attitudes! We live out in the country and are only limited by the size of the henhouse, but 25 -30 is about the limit.

Hard to choose! I would like to have about six black Austrolorps because they lay white eggs.

Well duh, apparently I got cotgused along the line somewhere! Black Australorps lay BROWN eggs! I still want some because I want a couple of nice black hens, but obviously I am going to have to go back to the breed catalogs .... I need a non-white breed that lays white eggs, and preferably is calm, friendly, not flighty and gets along with other birds. If it is beautiful and laced like a Wyandotte and cold and heat tolerant, it would be perfect for me!

Back
Top Bottom