What is your favorite breed of chicken???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justhatched, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    I not totally in love with our Red Links. They seem to be grumpy and complain a lot! The others are quiet happy girls. Our Red links are very smart and have take charge personalities. They are okay just not my favorite. I have a favorite Black Link. She will let me pet her and she jumped in my arms a few days ago. I love her! I like calm, not flighty, docile, birds. For the most part that is what I have. What are your favorites. I want to add a few new breeds. I'm thinking about doing it by getting fertilized eggs and put them under a broody hen. I was thinking of Barred Rock. I have always heard wonderful things about them. I'm thinking Ameracuana (sp). I like the idea of having a different color egg. Not just brown or white. I've thought about Maran's for the chocolate eggs. Again for the different egg color. I guess I want to be able to look an an egg and know who laid it. Maybe Delaware? I think they are pretty.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Brahmas always have been and always will be my favorites.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Cochins [​IMG] they have the best personalities and practically mob me for attention everytime I'm at the coop. They all love to be picked up and fussed over (I have 19 Cochins), even the roos.

4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have both Cuckoo Marans & Barred Rocks....love them both!! [​IMG] They have such great personalities and give me lots of hours of entertainment and lots of beautiful eggs [​IMG]

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Jersey Giants have my vote. Such big, beautiful, regal birds, but sweet-natured. Gentle giants. I will never forget the sight of my 3 y.o. daughter running up to me with a Giant clutched in her arms. The bird was practically as big as my daughter and being half-squashed with her feet sticking out, but just tolerated the whole situation as calmly as could be. Never a peep, never a peck, and the Giants let my daughter haul them around, decorate them with flowers, put them in her wagon and give them rides. They were so tolerant.

All birds have their good points. I love Wyandottes for their stunning beauty. I love EEs for the beautiful eggs. Barred rocks are also quite lovely. The sex-links are egg-laying machines, friendly and sweet. In fact, the only breed I have issues with are RIRs. And I think my bad experiences with them have been unusual because the breed in general has a good reputation.

Good luck with your decision.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Dorkings, Faverolles, Partridge Rocks and Austrolorps are my favorites. Maybe Buff Orpingtons, too.

7. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Thank you for all those wonderful replies. I will keep them all in mind when I add more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by