What is your favorite feed?

I like to feed my flock of 8 hens Allflock. Reason.......... some of my hens lay eggs, and some are retired and on social security. and enjoying their golden years. I provide them with oyster shells free choice. The allflock feed is continually available to them. I do put it away at night so varmint is not attracted to area. I also give my chickens a quantity of scratch or wild bird seeds. I know soooooo many here will advise not to make it more than 10% of their diet. I do not measure exactly, just throw them some... Any leftovers from my kitchen is also given to them.. ( I do not give them things BAD for them like sweets, cake, salty stuff, ETC. ) Mostly vegetable cut offs.. When permitting, my chickens free range in my back yard. They like eating blades of grass as well as dandelions and other growing weeds. I do not apply any type of pesticide to my lawn. Creepy crawlers also go down their gullets. My chickens do live long lives. They are pets only also..
I purchased a set of poultry nipples but did not get a chance to make the waterer. It would only be used in my case , during non freezing weather, outside. Now, winter, and they are in indoor facilities until spring. I simply up to now just change their water in their bowls daily. Small flock, and it is not that much work. Will see how my water contraption works this coming summer.
Lets hear what works best for others.

I also feed an all-in-one feed. I have various ages of both genders, and it's the easiest choice. Everyone can eat it, from chicks to layers to breeding roosters to cockerels being grown out for the table. I offer oyster shell to my layers. I usually have a bag of cracked corn or scratch and toss out some in the evenings, but not always. They also get table scraps. You should have seen how unhappy the dogs were when the chickens got first dibs on a turkey carcass I just put out! After the birds got to pick it over for a few hours (and the barn/coop cat got his share, also), I let the dog in the coop to crack the bones and finish it.

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Do not like the vertical nipples, you can't put the vessel down.......
......love the horizontal ones, have used them in many different vessels from pint to multi gallon, but they really shine in a heated waterer in my climate.
I DIY all mine, but you can buy preassembled or best price on parts here

What do you recommend for feed. I've been using Purina lay cumb medicated for my chicks b/c they're only 8 weeks old. I've seen several people post how awful Purina is.

I went to my local tractor supply and did not see much else. Some of the brands I remember were "Producers" "DuMor" "Nutrena". Of these three, is there a preference over Purina? Or should I consult my local Coop store?

Quote:
I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Do not like the vertical nipples, you can't put the vessel down.......
......love the horizontal ones, have used them in many different vessels from pint to multi gallon, but they really shine in a heated waterer in my climate.
I DIY all mine, but you can buy preassembled or best price on parts here
Another vote here for an all flock 20% crumble.
It seems to work well for my cockerel and pullets. Some are laying, some not yet, so I just offer oyster shell and egg shells free choice. Throw in some veggies, fruit, scratch, etc. and your good to go.
I use water founts, so can't comment on the nipple waterers.

What do you recommend for feed. I've been using Purina lay cumb medicated for my chicks b/c they're only 8 weeks old. I've seen several people post how awful Purina is.

I went to my local tractor supply and did not see much else. Some of the brands I remember were "Producers" "DuMor" "Nutrena". Of these three, is there a preference over Purina? Or should I consult my local Coop store?
Just curious..... What is it that is awful about Purina???

What do you feed your flock? Also do you use poultry nipples? Im thinking of buying the bucket with the nipples but not sure where to hang it.

I feed my flock of six hens either Purina Layena crumbles or Nutrena Naturewise Layer Feed crumbles, depending on what's on sale and what's in stock at our feed store. The one thing I've noticed about the Purina is it seems to make their poop stinkier than the Nutrena.

Didn't know there was a medicated layer feed.....thought usually only chick feed was medicated?

Chicks should not get layer feed because the higer calcium level is not good for them.

Learn to read the labels, not the pretty, big lettering, misleading text on the front of bag,
but the tag sewn into the bottom of the bag that gives nutrient levels and ingredients.

8 week old chicks shouldnt be on layer feed yet. Put them back on a starter feed and you can switch to layer once all of your pullets are laying. If you have any roosters i would just keep feeding starter but offer oyster shells for the laying hens.

Back
Top Bottom