What is your favorite SS/Farming/homesteading print.

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by RentaPig311, Oct 27, 2013.

1. RentaPig311

RentaPig311 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    I was in the grocery store today and saw several SS/homestead type magazines that caught my eye. Almost all of them had something about chickens in them. At $6 a pop it seemed a little high and I'm sure if we commit to a subscriptions the cost would go down.

So...what is your #1 homestead style subscription with the most useful information for small city dwelling farmers.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I enjoy Morther Earth News - enough to subscribe.
    I find useful info in every issue, stuff that I can and will use in my lifestyle. And I also find enough of what I think as over-the-top info to tickle my funny bone... Overall, I find it worth the money.
    But that said, I also buy lottery tickets; not because I think I will win, but there is that tiny/minuscule chance that I could and it gives me license to dream those outlandish dreams of what if.

3. RentaPig311

RentaPig311 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Denton Texas
    Thanks for the input. Mother Earth News was on the list. I've bought a few singles in the past and liked it ok.

I was considering:

Hobby Farms
    Urban Farm
    Grit

I'd like something geared more towards small operations but reviews on Urban farm seem to show that there is a lot of tree hugging articles and not a to much useful information or how to projects.

I could spend way to much on HS books and print so I'm trying to narrow it down to one or two to try for a year.

4. outlander

outlander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Belton, KY
    In my opinion, Mother Earth News has the best articles. It can get political at times...but in a way that is pertinent to homesteading/farming.

Both Hobby Farms and Urban Farm have pretty photos and lots of advertising. The articles tend to leave me wanting more, and I usually end up going online to learn more.

Honestly, after two years of Mother Earth News I cancelled my subscription and now just use their website. If there is something I want to learn or read about I tend to hit up Google first...usually there is a M.E.N. article about it already :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by