What is your favorite waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyBoys, May 7, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am just wondering - there are soooo many great birds out there, tell me what you're partial to! [​IMG]

I personally can't make up my mind. Every time I think I've settled on a breed of goose or duck I see another that is just as appealing.

So far I know I love runner ducks and I have some really nice calls on order as well as mandarins.

I just got those 3 dewlap toulouse goslings and wow - are they ever gorgeous - even as babies!

My Buff geese are more appealing everyday - their little butts are so white now!

I can think of at least 3 more breeds of geese that interest me - embden, sebatopols, american blues...

I can't make up my mind! [​IMG] I will end up with the Noah's Ark waterfowl farm - hmmm...not a bad name.....LOL

2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    For domestic ducks I like the barred muscovies and saxony's. For domestic geese I like the lavender ice color that Holderreads has, but I like the chinese for looks.
    For wild ducks almost any shelduck. For wild geese I like many, but my favorites are both greater and lesser megellans(sp?), bar heads, and cereopsis.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I love Call Ducks. I have 2 gray females, 2 gray males, and a white hen.

I also have Mandarin Ducks, they are so beautiful. I also love Toulouse geese.

4. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    My favorite are geese and of the geese my all-time favorite are the buff dewlaps.

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Call ducks, sebastopol, and wood ducks. If you didn't need a permit to own a wood duck I would own some right now. And I am looking for a snowy call duck breeder that ships [​IMG].

6. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Kurt, whatcha lookin for? I have snowy's...

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Geese by far. [​IMG] But I have appleyard ducks in my bator!

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    My Embdens. They are the most mischevious, entertaining, noisey creatures on my farm. The little antics they pull and games they play together have me in stitches. I can't imagine living without the constant chattering of geese in the yard.

I'm probably more impressed with the Pilgrims as parents, because they're simply awesome to watch parenting around 40 geese and ducklings together. But, they just don't seem to have the gregariousness or self-amusing behavior the Embdens do.

Now my wife likes the ducks better. Whenever they come waddling across the yard in their single file line, swaying left/right left/right as they ponderously make their way to the next resting point, she simply cannot stop laughing. She'll just howl when they find something and all have to taste or investigate it.

9. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    for duck woodduck for goose candan

10. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I raised mallards many years ago, they would leave the yard and fly to the river and when they returned they would circle our home quacking to let us know they were back while landing in the back field.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by