What is your fovorite chicken and or duck?

youdontknow32

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
South Western PA
Well hello everyone!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

So I was just thinking it would be nice to know what breeds of chickens people like best and possible why....

also duckies:)

I thought Seramas would be my favorite, however I have come to love my Silver duckwing hen and my silkies the most.....

However I love all of my chickens and ducks very much and they are all my babies!
big_smile.png

...Yea I'm addicted:p

So tell me, what's your favorite breed of chicken and or duck, why?

smile.png
:)Nicole:)
smile.png

Ah, my buff orps are my favorite. Miss Peachy and Big Mama are my all time favorite snuggle ladies. Roobie Roo was my favorite BO roo, but Rocky and Buddy are filling his shoes quite nicely.

Jody

Well, up until about a month ago my favorite chickens were the silkies, but now that I've got the rescues from the egg house, they are my favorite. I think they're golden comets. I think my favoritism has something to do with how they were treated before they got here and how they still behave today. They will leap into my lap, I can't bend over or they will fly up and crowd onto my back, and they follow me around like puppies! I don't know if this is typical of the breed or if they learned to be that way in the egg house, but I enjoy them!

I still love watching my chicken tv, which includes the four golden comets, the silkies, RIR's, EE's (all of the ee's are roos, gah!), a single sultan roo, and a single white bantam cochin hen. The silkies are so dim witted, which makes them very lovable IMO, lol.

For ducks, I only have rouens, so I can't really say. The call ducks that I've seen though are so adorable, but I can't speak to their personality.

Emily in NC

SILKIES!!!!! They are a very sweet chickens. I have 14 silkie chickens. If you are planning on hatching eggs I would definitely recommend silkies. I call them lap chickens because my hens will sit on your lap forever. Even the roosters is sweet. Most of them any way.
smile.png
Silkies are definitely my favorite chicken.

Egg houses, where supermarket eggs come from. That's what we call them down here anyway. Poor hens didn't have any feathers on them when I got them, and their beaks have been trimmed. Luckily they have feathered out now, and their beaks are growing back. They can finally eat pellets instead of mash. The friend I got them from works for our local rendering plant, and they get paid to go in at the end of the season and gas all of the birds. He is saving all he can. Right now he is getting them for free, but he will probably start having to pay his boss $1 each for them. Still not bad, especially since the girls are extremely sweet and are great egg layers.

Here is a picture of my eggs. The ones on the far left are the ones from the golden comet girls, middle ones are from RIR, and the far right are from the silkies and bantam cochin:

IMG_1762.jpg

Edited to say: if I completely filled an "extra large" egg carton with the eggs from the golden comets, it wouldn't close!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom