What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

My EE is friendliest, followed by a barred rock. My two barred rocks are funny. They are terribly curious and always in the middle of everything. But one is offish when it comes to touch. The other loves to be petted and sit on your lap

Last edited:
My EE is friendliest, followed by a barred rock. My two barred rocks are funny. They are terribly curious and always in the middle of everything. But one is offish when it comes to touch. The other loves to be petted and sit on your lap
Hi! We just got our first barred rocks this year. One was super friendly towards DH. She would escape her crate and head straight to him. Unfortunately a hawk got her a month ago. We have her crate mates a BR and BO. The BR is stand-offish but once you get her she is fine. She is SUPER curious too.Lots of people posted her before saying that they were great and we should give them a go. I have to say I agree with you and everyone on them now.

Our 2 Dominiques - Belle and Michelle. They absolutely love my husband and will peck at his legs until he picks them up. They are also very jealous and if he picks one up and not they other - he gets some very hard pecks from the one left on the ground.

Buff Orpingtons are very calm. My Buff Orpington will lie down in my lap and go to sleep. Wonderful hen!

Last edited:
Our 2 Dominiques - Belle and Michelle. They absolutely love my husband and will peck at his legs until he picks them up. They are also very jealous and if he picks one up and not they other - he gets some very hard pecks from the one left on the ground.

So cute and super lucky. They look very content to just be held. Ours is soooo Ornery. She is in constant battle with DH. She pecks at his hands hard and he "pecks" her back on the head. She just can't seem to learn who is big chicken around here.
Buff Orpingtons are very calm. My Buff Orpington will lie down in my lap and go to sleep. Wonderful hen!
So I am learning. Carmella, our BO, likes to put up a fuss but once I get-a-hold of her she nestles down and goes to sleep. Her little head will drop and she is out. How long have you had yours? Carmella is not even 3 months old yet.

So cute and super lucky. They look very content to just be held. Ours is soooo Ornery. She is in constant battle with DH. She pecks at his hands hard and he "pecks" her back on the head. She just can't seem to learn who is big chicken around here.
So I am learning. Carmella, our BO, likes to put up a fuss but once I get-a-hold of her she nestles down and goes to sleep. Her little head will drop and she is out. How long have you had yours? Carmella is not even 3 months old yet.

Yes, not all our chickens are so friendly. We have a couple of BO's who are friendly but only like to sit in our lap for a little while. We also have another Dominique who was a super friendly peep, but turned into a devil when she reached the "teens". She would also peck our hands and try to jump on our feet. She thankfully grew out of it when she started laying but doesn't like to be held like the other two.

Which is the friendliest? Well, let's see...

It's the Buff Silkie! And the Barred Rock is coming in from behind...the EE a close third, and the Black Austrolorp takes the lead as friendliest chicken!
(actually its my EE, she's just slow.lol)

0.jpg

we have a sex-link that loves attention. our EE runs from us but once you catch her she never tries to leave.
Awesome! Our Sex-link was a crazy girl. When she was a chick she would scream at the top of her lungs all day and night because she wanted to run free. The last year she was with us she stayed inside and potty trained herself. She would sit with us and when she needed to "go" she would stand up so we put her down and then run off to her cage. She had her own pillow on the couch that she had to sleep on.

Which is the friendliest? Well, let's see...

It's the Buff Silkie! And the Barred Rock is coming in from behind...the EE a close third, and the Black Austrolorp takes the lead as friendliest chicken!
(actually its my EE, she's just slow.lol)

0.jpg
Cute vid and pretty birds I love to watch them run at you when they know there is treats. Even with wing power they can't get there fast enough Our little silkie is currently brooding. She has 1 fertile egg for sure. Love to watch her fluff up and growl at me when I look under her.

Back
Top Bottom