What is your friendliest Chicken? What breed is it?

My EE pullet, Zoet- she will ignore treats (even chard/kale, which seem to be the holy grail for my flock) to jump up and sit in my lap while I'm doing... well anything. If I'm not sitting she'll wait for an opportunity to jump up on my shoulder. She clucks softly right before she sneak attacks my shoulder from behind (all: "here I come!")... good thing, because she's a very quiet bird and I would probably jump out of my skin half the time otherwise. This picture is a few weeks old. Her beard/cheeks have poofed out more and her comb has been turning red this week :D

I also have a single runty silky bantam pullet (Muppet) who was relatively flighty until she was injured recently and had to receive some relatively intense care from myself. Now she has also decided that I'm her best bud and runs up to greet me :)

Funny thing is that she's totally the top of the pecking order... all 1.5 lbs of her. She looks like a tribble next to the PBRs :D

Last edited:
My EE pullet, Zoet- she will ignore treats (even chard/kale, which seem to be the holy grail for my flock) to jump up and sit in my lap while I'm doing... well anything. If I'm not sitting she'll wait for an opportunity to jump up on my shoulder. She clucks softly right before she sneak attacks my shoulder from behind (all: "here I come!")... good thing, because she's a very quiet bird and I would probably jump out of my skin half the time otherwise. This picture is a few weeks old. Her beard/cheeks have poofed out more and her comb has been turning red this week :D

I also have a single runty silky bantam pullet (Muppet) who was relatively flighty until she was injured recently and had to receive some relatively intense care from myself. Now she has also decided that I'm her best bud and runs up to greet me :)

Funny thing is that she's totally the top of the pecking order... all 1.5 lbs of her. She looks like a tribble next to the PBRs :D
A tribble!!!!
gig.gif

Hi, I would like to add my 2 cents. The best chicks/chickens that I have raised are Farevolles. The roosters and hens are extremely friendly and do well with other birds that are docile, not flighty at all and will run to you in a corky way when you feed them or even collect their eggs. They truly have the best personality of any chicken that I have raised.

HEHEHE!!! You must be my lucky charm, I pick up my alpacas this weekend, and you will never guess.... yes, she has Emu!!!
I am bringing her a few guinea cocks since i have 5 and only 3 hens.
She has never had them, we have made a good friendship and sharing a lot of information.
I may be asking you questions very soon, she has begun her breeding program as her birds are old enough now..
How exciting! She said she will keep me posted on the process, breeding season is just around the corner!.
that's great! Best of luck!!!

Do u really need to ask? Then u must have never owned Farevolles. They r 1 of the best chickens out there, i would place brahmas 2nd. The 2 that i pointed out r extremely friendly and very corky in their own way. just hours of pure enjoyment. Plus the kids love them to death, unlike the brown leghorn rooster that we had, that was one pretty rooster but very mean.

My light Brahma hen is my friendliest chicken. Despite her size, I have to be careful not to step on her because she is always underfoot. She's always watching us when we are outside too. She supervised the building of her new coop every second. She has also gotten between me and our PITA cockerel when he was at his most annoying.

Thanks. I must say I, too, am partial to my Buffs. As for the building in the back, it is our tool shed but it matches the coop which is just outside the picture frame. My husband, (who originally thought my idea to raise chickens was nuts) keeps suggesting we move the chickens into the bigger tool shed. (And just where are all the tools to go once the ladies move in?)
tongue.png

I would have to say my Buff Orpington "Buffy" is our friendliest. She's always right there when I sit down and is very sweet. She also gets picked on by the babies right now. She never has pecked at them. (Trying to integrate three new babies to our first flock). She's my avatar.

that's great! Best of luck!!!

Thank you so much! But for the Emu..
sad.png
wow.. shot down... ugh brick wall.
They were so impressive and amazing, I loved them. The female was drumming the entire time we were there, and she was so alert.
Just beautiful. But way to aggressive. I warned DH that this is the breeding season, she did NOT like us visiting at all.
they are beautiful birds. He just won't even "go there" all i get is nope, uh uh not happening.....
I promised my friend another visit well after the nesting times are passed. Maybe he will be more interested when he sees they do have a "good" side.
fl.gif

On the upside, Beanie and Comet came home with us!!! They are just sweeties, lovable and so gentle.

Thank you so much! But for the Emu..
sad.png
wow.. shot down... ugh brick wall.
They were so impressive and amazing, I loved them. The female was drumming the entire time we were there, and she was so alert.
Just beautiful. But way to aggressive. I warned DH that this is the breeding season, she did NOT like us visiting at all.
they are beautiful birds. He just won't even "go there" all i get is nope, uh uh not happening.....
I promised my friend another visit well after the nesting times are passed. Maybe he will be more interested when he sees they do have a "good" side.
fl.gif

On the upside, Beanie and Comet came home with us!!! They are just sweeties, lovable and so gentle.
keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Back
Top Bottom