What is your LEAST favorite breed? (CLOSED, see the List!)

Quote:
Now THAT'S UGLY!
th.gif
sickbyc.gif

I don't like the White Faced Spanish they are so fleshy and gross looking and Shamos, they look like the giant dinasour/ fighting birds.
But I love my bantam chickens sooooo much.(btw bantams are not exactly a "breed" they are a size.)

I love my modern games My daughter actually has one that is a registered therapy chicken. She is very sweet and even tempered. she gets to go to hospitals and old folks homes for visits. We also have a silkie hen that is a therapy bird too.
My daughter was looking into get salmon faverolles. I was wonering how they were tempermant-wise. interesting.

1. Turkens/Naked Necks/Show Girls - well I just can't get over their necks. Chickens have feathers because what's under them isn't pretty.

2. Black Pendesencas -
barnie.gif
The word worthless just comes flying out of my mouth. I had a hen in with the crele pullets who started laying first. Maybe three or four really dark gorgeous eggs. Moved her to a breed pen with a male and she never layed another egg. Ever. In two years. I tried everything...more hens, new pen, more free-ranging (supervised of course...can't see letting a bird that was worth that much at the time get killed by something), nothing worked.

3. My Cuckoo Marans hens - Roosters were never allowed to have a tail...ever.
he.gif
Well I exaggerate, sometimes they got to have a tail but more often than not my roos ran around with Blu-Kote on their butts. I love the breed though and had Marans in several colors. When I get chickens again they will definitely still be on my list.

4. Red-shouldered Yokohamas - nothing like I expected. They were hatchery stock of course but the hens tails were longer than the males, and they layed maybe once a month.

5. Barnevelders -
idunno.gif
gorgeous, but super seasonal; the pullets would lay great for about a month when they started and then they would just peter out. They only layed about five months out of the year (April - August). Out of a breeding flock with over thirty hens I counted myself very lucky to get more than three eggs a day. That was average.

6. Broad-breasted Bronze Turkeys - :thun Feed stores should have a picture of what that bird will look like when it is grown, if it even lives that long. Or at least tell 13 year olds who think the poults are super cute, that if he doesn't want to eat them that he would be better off with Bourbon Reds or Black Spanish. Sadly Tom (that was his name) made it for maybe two years. He had a small pen in the shade (seperate from every one) where he would lay all day within reach of his waterer (an open barrel) and his pan of food. He was so pathetic with his little swollen feet. And he wanted to strut, you could see it in his posture every time Dude (the Bourbon Red tom) walked by.

That isn't in any particular order, and I'm sure I could think of more to add.
duc.gif

On the matter of Salmon Faverolles though I must say in the breeds defense mine were fabulous birds and I highly recommend the standard or bantam varieties to anyone considering the breed. They were awesome broodies. I could even foster chicks off on several of them when they weren't even setting. They'd have thirty little chicks running around behind them. And they might have only hatched 12-14. And my flock rooster was great. He would even drive off hawks that tried to get chicks the hens in his yard had.

Last edited:
I remembered another one...lol

7. Buff Brahmas - At four months they hadn't feathered. They were completely naked except for their head and neck, wings, and legs. They were adorable as chicks but I didn't keep them to a breeding age. I just let someone have them. I couldn't believe they feathered that slow. Obviously it was the bloodline, not the breed. I had Light Brahmas who were great. But that kinda turned me off to the Buffs. Maybe someday...

I dont care for silkies or most batams. Or leghorns
I do like regular old useful hens(production breeds) . ones that lay regularly.
Its nice to have a pet that pulls its own weight a bit.
big_smile.png

Rhode island reds...b/c I have had bad experiences with every roo from that breed that I've ever dealt with.

There are some (frizzles, naked necks, etc.) that aren't asthetically pleasing to me, but I can't say I dislike the breed b/c I don't consider those a specific breed. (Although I guess turkens would be?)

My turkens are absolutely the sweetest of the bunch. Always let me pick them up, never stress out when I hold them. They are a joy. It's a fact: you can't judge a book by its cover.

#1 Leghorns
#2 Seabrights
#3 White Rocks

Had to get those all in there because they are all NUTS! Everyone I had I just wanted to
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom