What is your most unusual recipe?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Roosterboy, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, i was watching the travel channel again and i was wondering what everyone's most unusual recipe is?

This is a tough question for some of us.

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I don't know if you mean unusual way of cooking or ingredient...I don't have any unusual ingredients unless you count squirrel and that's not unusual at all... but I do have unusual ways of cooking.

I found this recipe on a beef industry website and I tried it, this really works!!!
    Betty

Strange Roast

This can be started in the morning. Don't ask us why it works-- Any size rib or other roast of beef, salt and pepper, no flour.

Place seasoned beef in roasting pan, uncovered and put in 375 degree oven for 1 hour.

Turn oven off, but DO NOT open the oven door.

For RARE roast beef:
    45 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees

For MEDIUM roast beef:
    50 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees

For MEDIUM WELL DONE roast beef:
    55 minutes before serving time turn oven to 300 degrees.

That's all----- DON'T PEEK!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I LOVE this recipe...it's sooooooo good! I first ate it at an Italian restaurant in Houston....it was soooo good I searched the web for a couple of weeks until I found a recipe that tasted just like the one I had at the restaurant. I thought my family was going to vote me off the island before I finally found it.

Classic Chicken Under a Brick
    http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20011014brick2p2.asp

3 1/2- to 4-pound frying chicken, backbone removed and spread flat (see instructions)
    2 bricks, foil-wrapped (or other weights)

1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons to film skillet
    1 cup mixed chopped herbs, including rosemary or sage, in any combination of parsley, thyme, basil, mint, chervil or oregano
    1-teaspoon kosher salt
    1 large, 2 small cloves garlic, or to taste
    1 teaspoon dried red pepper, or to taste
    Garnish: Herb sprigs and 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges

Remove neck and giblets from chicken; reserve for another use or discard. Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. With poultry shears, cut along both sides of backbone, cutting back completely in two. Save backbone for stockpot. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull open and set skin side up on a flat surface; press breastbone with your hand to flatten.

(I like to remove the breastbone with my kitchen shears.)

Chop garlic. Sprinkle coarse salt on top. With tines of a fork, crush garlic thoroughly into the salt. Stir garlic paste into 1/3-cup olive oil in a baking dish large enough to hold chicken flat. Add dried red pepper. Coat chicken all over; pat the mixed chopped herbs onto chicken thickly. Return chicken to container and refrigerate an hour or up to a day.

Using two tablespoons of oil, lightly coat the bottom of a heavy skillet measuring 9 or 10 inches across the cooking surface.

Heat the oil and put the chicken in, skin-side down. Weight with 2 bricks or another heavy skillet loaded with heavy items, at least 10 pounds in all. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Scraping with a spatula turned upside down, loosen chicken and lift to check color. If not deeply browned, turn up heat a bit and cook 5 minutes more. Scrape again to loosen. Turn the chicken, using a large spatula and your other hand protected with paper towels. Weight again and cook 20 minutes. Test for doneness using an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh -- it should read 160 degrees to 165 degrees -- or make a small incision in the thigh with a sharp paring knife. If juice runs clear, chicken is done. Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of herbs.

Chef's trick: Cook skin-side-down to a golden turn 20 minutes in the skillet or on a grill, then transfer skin-side-up, to a 400-degree oven. Check for doneness after 10 minutes. This can save the day when charcoal briquettes poop out on you prematurely.

Serves 4-6.

Virginia Phillips

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is an unusual combination of ingredients...this is a dish my Cajun grandmother used to cook for us. My Grandmother used to kill an old hen for this dish and cook it all day, you can use a fryer but the flavor wont be as rich.

Corn Soup

1 - 4 to 5 pound fryer
    A little lard or cooking oil
    1 large onion
    1 large bell pepper
    4 or 5 cloves of garlic
    28oz can diced tomatoes
    1 small can tomato paste
    1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn
    5 chicken bullion cubes
    1/4 cup white wine (optional)

Cut up a frying hen into serving pieces.

Melt a spoon of lard in a large pan or Dutch oven. Brown the chicken in the lard a few pieces at a time and remove them to a plate.

Slice up some chopped onions, garlic and bell peppers and cook them in a little fat until the onions are translucent.

Add a large 28oz can of diced tomatoes.

Add 1-1/2 pounds of frozen corn and enough water to cover all the ingredients, add 5 cubes of chicken bullion.

Bring this to a boil then add the browned chicken and any juices that might be in the plate to the pot. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender.

About 5 minutes before your ready to cut the heat off under the pot taste the broth and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper if needed. At this time I like to stir in about 1/4 cup of white wine and bring it just back to a boil. It adds a little extra zing to the dish.

Serve in soup bowls over rice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The taste of this dish reminds me of the General Chicken you get at Chinese restaurants.

Chinese Chicken Spareribs
    (When you cook this in the Crockpot, leave out the ½ cup of water.)

2 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1-2 Tbs. veg oil
    1/2 cup water
    1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/3 cup firm packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup apple juice
    2 Tbs. Ketchup
    1 Tbs. Cider Vinegar
    1 clove Garlic finely chopped
    1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
    1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
    1 Tbs. Cornstarch
    1 Tbs. Water

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat add chicken cook until lightly browned. (6-7 min) Set aside. Combine remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in a bowl and mix well, pour over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, simmer for 20 minutes. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water, blend well and then add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and it glazes over chicken.

**Try this with some take out Fried Rice from your local Chinese joint....this stuff is sooooo good.
    ENJOY!!!!

3. highmountainchick

highmountainchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2008
    Every hear of dishwasher trout?

If you have a lot of dishes to run in the dish washer, you can cook dinner too.

Take a 12-14 inch trout, or other fresh fish, season with herbs and lemon, and a little sea salt. Wrap twice in heavy foil.

Set dishwasher for light load ( or longer depending onthe size of fish) and run the cycle.

The heated water will cook the fish and the foil seals in the moisture.

Everybody at work use to kid me about the dishwasher food I cook until I took a load of salmon and shrimp to a Christmas party. All cooked in the dishwasher. You should have seen their faces!! LOL

4. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Done dishwasher salmon before. It two tries before I got it right... first time the sprays from the washer blasted through the foil and made "salmon soup ala-foil". Second time, after careful placement in dishwasher, came out perfectly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by