Well, since ya asked the question...I'm not trying to gross ya out....but, when they hit they come with force and aim for the spine of the animal to snap the spine and render them unable to run or fight back...then, while they are holding on with their talons into the muscle they use their beak to defeather and when they have cleared a spot they begin to rip meat, skin and innerds out ....they swallow whole pieces that they rip and will leave after they get what they desire or are disturbed by something....usually only a small portion is eaten if the carcass is too heavy to fly off with.....this also explains the feathers being in this pattern instead of scattered about....as with a coon or fox.

I'm sorry for your loss K-Dog! :hugs

Thank you!

Well, since ya asked the question...I'm not trying to gross ya out....but, when they hit they come with force and aim for the spine of the animal to snap the spine and render them unable to run or fight back...then, while they are holding on with their talons into the muscle they use their beak to defeather and when they have cleared a spot they begin to rip meat, skin and innerds out ....they swallow whole pieces that they rip and will leave after they get what they desire or are disturbed by something....usually only a small portion is eaten if the carcass is too heavy to fly off with.....this also explains the feathers being in this pattern instead of scattered about....as with a coon or fox.

Thank you for explanation! I do appreciate it! I hadn't realized they snapped the spine. Would that be why there aren't more wounds, bite marks, etc.?

It is pretty sad knowing exactly how she died though but I like nature so at the same time I find it interesting.

Just please answer this, even if I might be just asking for trouble for myself.... is the death instantaneous or at least shortly after or did it eat her alive?

Uhh... not so sure about that. At least with hawks, it's a really lengthy death involving a lot of flopping. Sorry. :oops:

I have never seen an instant death with a hawk involved. There are videos of them eating prey alive whilst it squirms.
Well it sounded good! :smack

Instantaneous!

Uhh... not so sure about that. At least with hawks, it's a really lengthy death involving a lot of flopping. Sorry. :oops:

I have never seen an instant death with a hawk involved. There are videos of them eating prey alive whilst it squirms.

Well it sounded good! :smack

Yeah, yeah. I'll go hide now. :oops:

It's okay! I'm glad I know the truth, even if it is horrible. I do wonder though, knowing it's a lengthy death, if she could have been saved if someone had noticed? My dad said the dog was barking and whining shortly after I let them out but he didn't know I wasn't home but even when he came upstairs and realized it, he left (he had to be somewhere) and didn't check on them...... :he

Then he was barking later on and my mom let him out and he went to the bathroom and came back in.

So it probably happened one of those times and the dog probably scared the hawk out or it came back after.

ANYWAY, I wonder if someone had noticed if she could have been saved. Either after the attack or maybe if the attack could have been prevented before it got her.....

I want the truth please

Back
Top Bottom