What Killed My Chicken?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Leine, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Leine

Leine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    FL, USA
    Earlier this year, I found the body of one of my standards in the run. Its (don't remember the gender) neck was completely stripped of feathers, and its chest was hollow (eaten). This happened through the chicken wire.
    I know we have raccoons, opossums, coyotes, foxes, etc., but does anyone know what, exactly, killed it?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Probably raccoons. They can grab poultry and pull it to the fence to eat it, everything else usually needs to be in the fence to snag a chicken.

Leine likes this.
  3. Leine

Leine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    FL, USA
    But wouldn't a raccoon just have pulled its head off? The chicken's neck was still entirely attached, but void of feathers.

4. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Your run is covered?

5. B Redhawk

B Redhawk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2017
    Coons will eat the chest of a chicken, not interested in the head, a skunk will eat the head. Coons will also kill an entire flock just for fun of killing.

Leine likes this.
  6. Leine

Leine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    FL, USA
    Yes, the run is completely covered. There is also chicken wire on the ground along the base of the run to keep the raccoons from digging under.

7. Leine

Leine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    FL, USA
    Thank you for the feedback

Sublight likes this.
  8. Sublight

Sublight Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2016
    Not necessarily, I had a coon kill 2 chickens, both had their head. It killed them and only ate one.

Leine likes this.
  9. Leine

Leine Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2017
    FL, USA
    Then what happened to the feathers on its neck?

10. Kyanite

Kyanite Loving Life! Premium Member

May 27, 2016
    SE Idaho
    I agree that it was a raccoon. Raccoons will sometimes even just eat the crop of a chicken. Really, they will eat whatever they can pull through the fence. The feathers on the neck were probably pulled off either by the coon, or other chickens. Once the hen was dead, the others may have explored around and eaten some feathers. I had it happen in my coop when a hen died during the night. In the morning some of the others had pecked some feathers off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by