What killed my chicken?

Mellysandwich

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
There other day I let my 9 hens and rooster out of the coop, but neglected to do a head count due to trying to quickly return to my potty training toddler. When I came back out late morning to give them food scraps I noticed one bird was missing. When I looked in the coop right there by the pulley door her carcass was laying. You cannot tell from the picture but most of her neck and a fair bit below it was gone. My thought is that a raccoon lifted the door at night? I don't think it happened during the day. The coop is surrounded by fence, but isn't electrified currently so I think some animals are gaining access at night. I've definitely seen a skunk in there. My thought is that whatever got her was likely still in there when I opened the coop up in the morning and I just didn't see it.

Attachments

• IMG_20181114_115219.jpg
    IMG_20181114_115219.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

chickendreams24

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 30, 2015
Wisconsin, USA
I'm also going to add skunk to the possibilities as just a few weeks ago we had a skunk in the coop and it almost completely consumed a bird in 18-24 hours. It was also the largest skunk I've ever seen. Possum or raccoon are also very likely.

chickendreams24

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 30, 2015
Wisconsin, USA
Yes I should also have mentioned that. Mink will consume their prey after killing it and drinking the blood.

We had huge problems here with mink in the past. *Knock on wood it doesn't come back* as we were never able to deal with it.

Mellysandwich

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
:pop Keep us updated! If you can trap it and it isn't a protected animal, I would suggest culling it humanly so it doesn't come back. Once a predator has had a taste of chicken blood it will not stop eating and killing your chickens.
I will! So far I've failed to trap it or catch anything on my game cam. Another attempt tonight though.

Mellysandwich

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
I'm also going to add skunk to the possibilities as just a few weeks ago we had a skunk in the coop and it almost completely consumed a bird in 18-24 hours. It was also the largest skunk I've ever seen. Possum or raccoon are also very likely.
I'm thinking it's a skunk possibly. There is a skunk that regularly visits their fenced in area to get leftovers. I started picking up their food at night so maybe it was able to nudge the door open. None of the other birds were hurt which seems unlike a raccoon.

Top Bottom