What killed my rooster

SugarChick

Songster
May 1, 2018
Hawaii
I LIVE IN HAWAII SO THIS COULD NOT HAVE BEEN A COYOTE, FOX OR RACOON... my brother called me saying that my rooster was thrashing around outside. I ran out and saw my beloved orange rooster laying on the ground, moving around a bit. His comb and wattles were purple already and his neck was just flopping around when I picked him up. I did a thorough inspection and found no entry large holes on his neck but it was possible it was broken. I’m guessing by the time of attack and me getting outside, he was already dead. A quick death hopefully. There was a little bit of blood on his wattles but that was it. What could it have been? My only guesses are Mongoose, hawk, my neighbors cat or an owl.

So sorry!
A dog is another possibility, and more likely than most cats.
If you have more chickens, lock them in a safe coop until this is resolved, or the predator moves on.
Mary

So sorry for you loss. If you have a game camera, put it up because more than likely the predator will be back and then you will know what you're dealing with.

So sorry!
A dog is another possibility, and more likely than most cats.
If you have more chickens, lock them in a safe coop until this is resolved, or the predator moves on.
Mary
There are no stray dogs at my house and my dog wouldn’t touch a chicken after being attacked by my broody hen! The neighbors cat has killed some of my chickens before, even one of my full grown hens. They are more of bantam size tho so that’s why

Maybe another dominant rooster who's been bred with fighter genes escaped it's pen and went to hung out with all them feral chickens you Hawaiian's have over there and decided to claim his territory. He snuck into your yard, squared up against your untrained with no fighter gene rooster and quickly dispatched him via a powerful kick to your chicken's neck causing him to collapse and twitched for a few seconds before expiring. That happens sometimes in fighting birds, broken neck by a powerful kick!

Maybe another dominant rooster who's been bred with fighter genes escaped it's pen and went to hung out with all them feral chickens you Hawaiian's have over there and decided to claim his territory. He snuck into your yard, squared up against your untrained with no fighter gene rooster and quickly dispatched him via a powerful kick to your chicken's neck causing him to collapse and twitched for a few seconds before expiring. That happens sometimes in fighting birds, broken neck by a powerful kick!

Other possibilities:
  • A pineapple fell ( wait, they don’t grow on palm trees... never mind)
  • Rouge cock strangling Hula dancer ( pretty sure that was a magnum pi plot)
  • Vacationing aliens
  • Sasquatch retired to the islands
  • Micro-gadget Pearl Harbor attack simulation gone wrong
  • Frustrated 14 year old girl trying to learn the ukulele snapped
  • Poi
  • Tiny volcanic rock shot into the air, landed just right
  • The bird simply missed “the old Hawaii” and OD’d on meal worms
I mean as long as we’re making things up, right?

Back
Top Bottom