What killed my rooster

Not right now, all there is is a bunch of feathers in one place though, so I think it may have been a hawk
Could have been most any predator. Good luck...
From a fox. I did catch the fox and eliminated it. From two different birds.
IMG_20181207_142735.jpg
IMG_20181207_142753.jpg

I think it may have been a hawk, since the feathers are only in one spot and I haven’t seen anything coming back
It's a possibility but not likely unless you have big hawks or eagles. It's also not likely that you'll see the first predator, they'll wait until you're not present to do their dirty work. Have you put out a game camera? I didn't know the scope of predators I had until I did that.

It's a possibility but not likely unless you have big hawks or eagles. It's also not likely that you'll see the first predator, they'll wait until you're not present to do their dirty work. Have you put out a game camera? I didn't know the scope of predators I had until I did that.
I have a trail camera set up

Could have been most any predator. Good luck...
From a fox. I did catch the fox and eliminated it. From two different birds.
View attachment 2778809View attachment 2778810
A couple weeks ago I found a pile of chicken feathers like these at the corner of my lot right outside the fence . I haven't lost any chickens and still have all 6 Dominiques I started with back in the spring. I'm guessing a predator caught one of my neighbors Bantam chickens and carried it over here. I found no feet, no carcass or bones so maybe it ate it someplace else. Their coop is probably 300 foot from my coop.I don't free range due to predators but they do.

Hmm just featheres could be plenty of animal such as raccoon hawk stray cats etc. most animals leave back a carcass which some body will find unless they have baby’s which animals could be attracted to the coop and less you put over a cover which is a very smart idea unless you have one that’s all I’ve got

I doubt he led the predator away. The hens probably ran and he defended them. A good rooster no doubt. I’d guess Fox. I assume you scouted around for foot prints.

I doubt he led the predator away. The hens probably ran and he defended them. A good rooster no doubt. I’d guess Fox. I assume you scouted around for foot prints.
I did, it was a fox, a red fox trying to feed her babies since it’s daytime when she comes, ive been sitting at my bedroom window with a gun waiting for her, she snuck up about an hour ago but I didn’t have a good angle to shoot her from so I just shot into the air to run her off, she was also out there this morning waiting for the chickens to come around to the back of the house

I did, it was a fox, a red fox trying to feed her babies since it’s daytime when she comes, ive been sitting at my bedroom window with a gun waiting for her, she snuck up about an hour ago but I didn’t have a good angle to shoot her from so I just shot into the air to run her off, she was also out there this morning waiting for the chickens to come around to the back of the house
You give her enough to think about she may not return. If you shoot and miss a time or two she may find another place to hunt. Obviously a kill you’d avoid issues now and more hungry mouths later.

You give her enough to think about she may not return. If you shoot and miss a time or two she may find another place to hunt. Obviously a kill you’d avoid issues now and more hungry mouths later.
Yeah but I definitely wasn’t going to hit from where I was, and I didn’t want her grabbing another one of the chickens, i could try and find her den, it probably isn’t too far away

Back
Top Bottom