What killed Sansa? :(

Hesitantkarma13

Hatching
Mar 2, 2015
Doylestown, PA
So I know this is my fault...but my chickens have been refusing to go in their coop at night and instead using it to reach the low branches of a pine tree, and then branch hopping until they're about 15 feet up. After trying to cure them of the habit for a bit, I gave up because they seemed happy and I haven't seen any signs of predators.
This morning I found Sansa, my silver laced Wyandotte, on the ground under their tree. Her head was torn off, but otherwise there was no damage to her head or body. I found both under the tree along with feathers and broken branches, so it seems that whatever did it, did it in the tree.
I saw a big skunk a few nights ago in my yard, but I didn't think they climbed trees or killed full size chickens? I haven't seen any other evidence of predators, though today I went and talked to a neighbor who has chickens also and he told me that he had a problem with a fox a few years ago (before I lived in the neighborhood).
So now I'm moving the coop (it's small) and getting ready to lock my remaining girls up tight for the night. Two are missing, but that isn't totally uncommon during the day so I'm hoping they come home this evening. :(
But what would kill a chicken in that manner? Nothing was eaten, but from what I've seen nothing that kills for fun climbs trees. I'm at a loss.

So I know this is my fault...but my chickens have been refusing to go in their coop at night and instead using it to reach the low branches of a pine tree, and then branch hopping until they're about 15 feet up. After trying to cure them of the habit for a bit, I gave up because they seemed happy and I haven't seen any signs of predators.
This morning I found Sansa, my silver laced Wyandotte, on the ground under their tree. Her head was torn off, but otherwise there was no damage to her head or body. I found both under the tree along with feathers and broken branches, so it seems that whatever did it, did it in the tree.
I saw a big skunk a few nights ago in my yard, but I didn't think they climbed trees or killed full size chickens? I haven't seen any other evidence of predators, though today I went and talked to a neighbor who has chickens also and he told me that he had a problem with a fox a few years ago (before I lived in the neighborhood).
So now I'm moving the coop (it's small) and getting ready to lock my remaining girls up tight for the night. Two are missing, but that isn't totally uncommon during the day so I'm hoping they come home this evening. :(
But what would kill a chicken in that manner? Nothing was eaten, but from what I've seen nothing that kills for fun climbs trees. I'm at a loss.

Was the head torn off and missing or was it there?. From what I've heard both owls and opossums will kill and eat the head, and opossums can climb trees. Chickens are very vulnerable when theyr'e sleeping.

My grandfather told me he once witnessed a skinny (hungry) coyote...when r they not hungry :/ anyhow said he saw the dang thing climb a tree!! Ran right up about 15-20 feet to the first branch !! But I don't understand the not eating anything part.some mother animals will hunt,catch and show their prey to the kiddos...my cat Bella does this with her kittens :( I hate it when it's a bird and squirrels make me sad also.but I will scold her for birds .its a no no!! Sorry for your loss poor gal:(
I hope you figure,find and run the murderer out before any more tragedies occur

Back
Top Bottom