What killed two Muscovy drakes??

Murphmichael

Hatching
Sep 5, 2017
My Muscovy ducks (1 adult male, 1 adult female, 3 adolescent females, and 3 adolescent males) all sleep in my barn at night. I live on northern Kentucky.
Last week I lost an adolescent drake (~4 months old), found only a pile of feathers, no body...
A few nights ago I lost my adult drake :( Again, finding only a pile of feathers (outside, about 150ft from the barn).
I set a trap with chicken eggs in it the last couple nights and nothing! This morning I saw a skunk waddling away from my barn as I was walking down to open it up.
Could my predator problem be a skunk!?!? What killed my drakes???

More likely a fox, coyote or bobcat... assuming they can get into your barn. Skunks are more likely to eat where they kill whereas the larger predators grab and go. I'm sorry for your losses...

I'm guessing fox, coyote, bobcat or fisher if they are in your area. Most important is that you need to shore up your coop/pens. Whatever it is, it will return now that it has found a food source.

Sorry for your losses! I had a raccoon come and take one of my chickens(I saved her though) and that may be your predator. I ended up trapping and killing 6 racoons and haven't had a problem since.... knock on wood!!

Back
Top Bottom