What kind of bantam?

Njames1963

In the Brooder
May 23, 2024
Minnesota
I got this chick from an assorted bantam bin at Runnings and I'm just wondering what kind of bantam y'all think she might be? Legs are not feathered.
1000006391.jpg
1000006390.jpg
1000006389.jpg

I got this chick from an assorted bantam bin at Runnings and I'm just wondering what kind of bantam y'all think she might be? Legs are not feathered. View attachment 3843558View attachment 3843559View attachment 3843560
Probably Old English Game Bantam, color Black Breasted Red, gender likely female.

Old English Game Bantams are pretty common in bins of "assorted bantams," and Black Breasted Red is one of the most common colors they can be.

Males of Black Breasted Red chickens have a black breast, and I think I see the female breast color coming in (salmon/pink/brownish). So it is probably female.

Small chance of being Old English Game Bantam, color Spangled. If it gets white dots all over when it gets older, it is Spangled. Still likely female, because the breast color of Spangled would be the same as the breast color of Black Breasted Red (plus white dots as it gets older.)

Small chance of being some other breed (Dutch, or Easter Egger Bantam, or something I'm not familiar with.)

Probably Old English Game Bantam, color Black Breasted Red, gender likely female.

Old English Game Bantams are pretty common in bins of "assorted bantams," and Black Breasted Red is one of the most common colors they can be.

Males of Black Breasted Red chickens have a black breast, and I think I see the female breast color coming in (salmon/pink/brownish). So it is probably female.

Small chance of being Old English Game Bantam, color Spangled. If it gets white dots all over when it gets older, it is Spangled. Still likely female, because the breast color of Spangled would be the same as the breast color of Black Breasted Red (plus white dots as it gets older.)

Small chance of being some other breed (Dutch, or Easter Egger Bantam, or something I'm not familiar with.)
Thank you! Glad to hear you also think female. Not wanting any roosters here! 😁

1 week later update, her comb is turning very red and I'm starting to see red wattles, none of my other breeds have any red yet, even my older smokey pearl chick. I'm starting to wonder if she is actually a he. But still has long wing feathers and tail so I'm unsure.

Attachments

• PXL_20240601_234129640.jpg
    PXL_20240601_234129640.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240601_234140368.jpg
    PXL_20240601_234140368.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240601_234142471.jpg
    PXL_20240601_234142471.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240601_234151775.jpg
    PXL_20240601_234151775.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 4
1 week later update, her comb is turning very red and I'm starting to see red wattles, none of my other breeds have any red yet, even my older smokey pearl chick. I'm starting to wonder if she is actually a he. But still has long wing feathers and tail so I'm unsure.
I agree, that looks like a male comb.

Apparently I was wrong about seeing female coloring in the feathers. The breast is definitely showng some black now, but not either single color that would clearly tell the sex of the chick.

I agree, that looks like a male comb.

Apparently I was wrong about seeing female coloring in the feathers. The breast is definitely showng some black now, but not either single color that would clearly tell the sex of the chick.
Mine did the exact same thing :( had red female-like breast feathers come in and then the next week all black and started crowing at 4 weeks... Such a bummer!

Mine did the exact same thing :( had red female-like breast feathers come in and then the next week all black and started crowing at 4 weeks... Such a bummer!
Ugh, yeah I thought for sure hen with the way the feathers were growing but suddenly yesterday bright red comb and wattles. He will have to relocate 😭 it's my fault for not paying attention to the bin that said straight run! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom