What kind of Bantams are these chicks? *UPDATED!*

1. Black roo
2. barred hen
3, black hen
4. golden laced cohin roo
5. Silver laced polish hen

sexes are guesses and all are cochins except for the polish, and i got colors right
I agree with the colors and most of the sex guesses except for the polish....they are really hard to sex and if I were to make a guess right now, I would say Roo...

Hi! I picked up some Bantam chicks yesterday (Wednesday May 16th, 2012. I believe they were born on Tuesday, May 15th) They are only a day old in these photos but I was wondering if they have any distinguishing characteristics that might help me identify them. They came from an assortment of Privett's "Assorted Feather Leg Bantam Straight Run." According to their website this can include Cochins, Silkies, Bahmas, d'Uccles, & Sultans. All of the babies in question are black with some white and or yellow. One has some red/brown on it's face. Based on my obsessive browsing of their website I think I may have either:

- Black Cochin Bantams
- Black Frizzle Cochin Bantams
- Barred Cochin Bantams
- Birchin Cochin Bantams

I would really love to have some Barred Cochin Bantams, that was #1 on my wishlist this year (my first time with chickens). I have some 6 week old Barred Rocks that I adore so if I don't get a Barred Cochin Bantam I think I'll survive with my super sweet BR's
wink.png

Any thoughts? The variations are subtle: some have black beaks, some have yellow fluff, some have white fluff.

Also I have one baby that I really think is a Silver Laced Polish. I am including her photo just for fun and to see if anyone has any other thoughts on her too. They are all TINY and as precious as can be. I'll be happy no matter what but I'm excited and eager to see what I have. I'll post pictures as they grow too.

Baby #1: Black & white Beak. Both yellow and white fluff although mostly black. Yellow belly. White wing tips. Small faint white spot on top of her head.

Barred Cochin

Baby #2: Almost identical to Baby#1 but some yellow around the beak. Less black on the beak. White wing tips. White spot on top of her(?) head that is considerably larger than the one on Baby #1. Yellow belly.

Barred Cochin

Baby #3: Black beak with some white like Baby #1. Only white fluff on her(?) body but the foot feathers are yellow. No white spot on the head.

Black Cochin

Baby #4: This one is VERY different from the others! From above it looks like she(?) is wearing a black hooded cape. LOL! Only the back of her head and her back are black. Both her wings are yellow as is her belly. Her face is a golden brown and her beak has no black on it.

Golden Laced Cochin

Baby #5: I almost certain that this little one is a Silver Laced Polish chick but if you think otherwise let me know! My assumption is based on photos I found online. She came in with an assortment of Privett's "Assorted Crested and Polish." It looked like most of the babies from that group were White Crested Blue or Black Polish and there were only 2 or 3 like this one. I wasn't planning on getting any Crested chicks but she just looked so cute and I'm a sucker for the Chickens, haha!

Looks to be a silver laced polish

Okay, enough of my chatter! What do you think???

THANKS!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
My little golden laced cochin roo had some white on him for a long time and then finally it just disappeared...that is definitely a golden laced cochin.

no it is just hatchery quality so those are just color defects

That explains it! :) I have looked and looked and looked for Golden Laced Cochin chicks around this age in photos and have had no luck so I have had nothing to compare him to. Thanks for explaining!
smile.png

I agree with the colors and most of the sex guesses except for the polish....they are really hard to sex and if I were to make a guess right now, I would say Roo...

My boyfriend's brother (who works at the feed store where I got my chicks) was over yesterday -same day I took these pictures- and he thinks this baby is a Roo too. Curious to see how s/he progresses. Like my Golden laced Cochin, I had had a hard time finding pictures of Silver Laced Polish chicks. Ironically, my photo search on here for "silver laced polish chick" ONLY brought up one photo: the first picture I posted of my chick, LOL!!!

He had no clue about my Golden laced Cochin baby though. That may be because they don't order this breed, I got this one out of a shipment of mixed Bantam Chicks at the end of their chick season.

Last edited:
My boyfriend's brother (who works at the feed store where I got my chicks) was over yesterday -same day I took these pictures- and he thinks this baby is a Roo too. Curious to see how s/he progresses. Like my Golden laced Cochin, I had had a hard time finding pictures of Silver Laced Polish chicks. Ironically, my photo search on here for "silver laced polish chick" ONLY brought up one photo:  the first picture I posted of my chick, LOL!!!

He had no clue about my Golden laced Cochin baby though. That may be because they don't order this breed, I got this one out of a shipment of mixed Bantam Chicks at the end of their chick season.

Checkout feathersite.com they have lots of pictures

Here are updated photos now that my chicks are 6 weeks and 2 days old. Please offer guesses on gender, except for #4. I have that one ALL figured out!
wink.png

Baby#1: I was sure this one would be all black. What is this white lacing (is this lacing)??? Will this go away? Some people guessed this as a Roo but the comb hasn't grown much and this one acts NOTHING like the one I am certain is a Roo. Finally, this baby is fast and was very difficult to photograph, he/she loves to run and jump off of the ledge. This ledge is only seat level so it isn't a far fall but annoying when all you want is one decent photo. Thoughts? Do I need to post more photos, some close ups?

Baby#2: I think it's pretty obvious that this one is a Barred Cochin Bantam. I also think she is a little lady. No name yet...

Baby #3: Bettie Page! A sweet mellow little bird. Again, like Baby#1 this white lacing(?) showed up like a lace collar. Is this here to stay? They are Hatchery birds and my Golden Laced chick (Baby #4, coming up!) had a fair amount of white on the tips of his wings that is starting to fade. I was told (above, thanks!) that it was just a sign that he is a Hatchery bird and that it would go away. Is this just a phase? It looks pretty to me. I am sure this one is a girl.

Baby #4: My Roo, no doubt! He acts the part and all! I put one of my larger chickens in with the little ones and he went after her even though she was 3 times his size! I did not expect that, wow! He is noisy and always sounds concerned. I think this boy is going to be a handful *sigh*

Baby #5: My Silver Laced Polish, no need to guess on that! I think this one is a boy too. He is so sweet and so mellow, the total opposite of my Golden Laced Roo. He has a mohawk, not a bouffant, and I am told that indicates a male in Polish birds. The boyfriend's brother works at the feed store when I got all my chickens (if you have read all of this you know this by now) and he said that the tail looks like a Rooster to him. That is his technique for identifying gender. Not 100% sure yet but I think of this one as a boy (as you can tell, I refer to him as a "he"). He is skittish though. When I was taking these pictures sometimes I would make sudden high pitched noises so the bird would pause and look my way. It usually worked with the others but with him he immediately jumped up and fluttered to me, I was sitting and he hid under my legs and wanted to stay there. Awww honey! I'll protect you! So sweet...

So what do you think?
smile.png

1 and 3 are birchen, not sure on sex. The roos will get the white in the wings, the pullets just around the neck. Barred one looks like a pullet. The gold laced a little like a partridge roo, can you post a side pic? No idea on the polish.

Back
Top Bottom